Rat to road bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals got an idea to take an old Schwinn cruiser frame and set it up with a st of drp bars down tube type shifters but my question is on these old bikes is there a way to put a 6 or 7 speed freewheel out back and a double for the crank? I'd love to set it up as either a 10 speed or 12 speed heck as said I'd drop a 7 if possible but what I'd like to know will these frames take a double and looking to put a big 53 for the front ring on it. As said I wanna make her skinny tires and fast sure could do a diamond frame but would love doing something different. Oh other question course think I already know the answer to it I also have a pair of 27 inch rims the rear already set with a 5 speed freewheel and yes it is from a Schwinn :D any input greatly appreciated
Cheers
Jim

Tis is the style frame I wanna do up
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCHWINN-26-3-SPEED- ... 5638f88ac2

Are you thinking something like this?

downsized_1009101144a.jpg

The LT said:
bikebum1975 said:
The LT said:
Are you thinking something like this?

downsized_1009101144a.jpg

Yeah sorta along that idea different stem though :D

Yeah a different stem would look better but for riding 30+ miles my back appreciates the more upright stem.

Did you have to change up anything special to get the double to work? Ha me after 30 miles don't really matter which bar for my back LOL :D

If you are using a generic Schwinn cruiser frame just get a sacrificial Schwinn Varsity or Continental and you are almost done.

Back