RAT ROD'S CLEANING MAGIC REVEALED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Okay, you asked...you shall receive. :lol:

This isn't a real secret, probably what most of you are doing already.

1. Find a bike that isn't a total heap.
2. Spray all grease covered parts with Simple Green and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. Fill wash bucket with Dawn liquid soap and water.
4. Use a cotton wash mitt for cars and wash bike with soap and water.
5. Use small plastic brush to clean tight spots.
6. Hose off bike using Texas magic water. :lol:
7. Dry bike with an Absorber or a soft clean towel.
8. Get rid of any scuffs and paint marks using rubbing compound.
9. Go over tires and vinyl/rubber parts with spray tire shine and wipe off.
10. Buy a Nikon DSLR camera and take photos mid morning or early evening time against a solid color background with indirect lighting.

That's really all I ever do with the exception of a full tear down and detail for chrome, paint, etc.

**Disclaimer: It doesn't hurt to be a complete neat freak and have your twisted obsession with cleanliness motivate you to go over every tine square inch of the bike knowing that you will not be able to sleep unless every speck of dirt is removed. :wink:

Thanks buddy!

Dont use tire shine on grips seat and tires....nothing worse than sliding around on your seat when you cant hold on to the grips and the tires slip out from under you in the first corner.

I wipe the shine off after I spray it on.

I use the clear stuff in the aerosol can and wipe it off immediately.

It's just enough to condition certain parts. :wink:

Well I'll be darned! :shock: I think it's the quality of the bike you find. Any bike you find even it's from 1932 looks like it came off the showroom floor :shock: Now...any bike I find even if it 15 years old looks like it's been through a tornado :lol:

I used the tire-shine trick and it works very well :wink: I also ArmorAll the pedals, seat, and grips to give it a showroom shine 8)

can we ship bikes to you Steve for the "Texas Treatment"? For a fee of course.

it'd be like sending a bike for a day at the spa.

CRASH said:
Steve, can you please elaborate #8 for a n00b? I'm not sure what rubbing compund is or how to properly use it.

Steve probably meant Polishing Compound with is a less abrasive cousin to Rubbing Compound. You use it like paste wax, but take it easy, you don't want to take too much off.

Rat Rod said:
10. Buy a Nikon DSLR camera and take photos mid morning or early evening time against a solid color background with indirect lighting.

Aside from just making sure the bike is clean, I would say this is the best thing you could do for a bike ... good pictures. :)

Rat Rod said:
1. Find a bike that isn't a total heap.
**Disclaimer: It doesn't hurt to be a complete neat freak and have your twisted obsession with cleanliness motivate you to go over every tine square inch of the bike knowing that you will not be able to sleep unless every

#1 followed by the disclaimer is the most important. Now we just need to find this warehouse/bike shop with all these NOS bikes. :wink:

Steve pulled a fast one making ya'll think that he just used the "Magic Texas Water" on step #6, when in fact, he used it on steps 2-6. :wink:

Saw this new product at the bike shop yesterday. :)

any3avy5.jpg

Ha Ha...nah, they wanted $9.99 for a bottle. :shock:

I wanted to check to see if it was the same thing as regular Simple Green with a fancy label for bike shops. :lol:

Back