Rat Rod Inspired

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been really busy. Sorry I couldn't get back to your questions sooner. Here it goes...

The shifter is my own creation. I made it from a punch that had a great taper and looked a lot like a real shifting rod. The actual shifting part is made from different sized washers welded together along with ball bearings.

As for the frame - it is a dyno exact match. Not sure if it is original or aftermarket. It was purchased from Choppers U.S., as were the wheels, tank and drive train - minus the rear hub.

The bike has not been altered except for a few added brackets that were welded on for the shifter and the chain guide. And if you are going to use that tank, you will have to weld on a steering stop so you don't damage your tank.

I slammed the fork as low as I could so as to try to give the illusion that the bike was shorter. (I had to use a different fork from Choppers U.S. because a springer fork wouldn't have worked with a 3 inch wheel.) My problem was that the bike wasn't level up front, it looked like it was lower in front, so I used the tank to give the illusion that the bike was level. Because the fork is slammed and the bike is lower than orginally intended, I used a short crank arm (a 160) to compensate.

I'm kicking myself right now because this is the 5th build I've done and not taken any pictures. I always intend to stop and take the pictures and then never take the time to do it. I can post close ups of some of the components so you can get the idea of how I built the shifter and so forth, if anyone is interested.

The paint is from a spray cans I bought at Home Depot. I used Rustoleum mulitcolored textured paint over a solid base coat and then bits of another color lightly over the top of that to try to simulate the look of rust. It's suprisingly durable.

Again, thanks for all the positive feedback. I have to go and deflate my head now before it pops. :lol:

I Like it ... LOL
YIPPY !!
Nice Job. Im alwaws in a big hurry to get em done to ... not wanting to take the time to tale any photos ....LOL Get Er Done . Im trying to change my ways . Wifey has been taking a few photos for postierty ....
Gona try & share some of them here soon.

Stephen / Wingman

I like what you did with this.

The only thing I would change/add is that tank is just beggin for some sick pinstripin'

Back