Rat Rod from back in '63

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was in 3rd grade in 1963 and lived in a small town in East Cental IL. On the next block over lived a guy that had a small shop of sorts. I know he at least had a welder. The kids that were in Jr. High or maybe High School hung out over there.
My dad said the guy gave them beer and cigarettes. 8) At any rate, the summer of '63 they welded up a couple of bikes that were nothing less than early RatRods. I posted a pic below I got from this forum. The bikes they made were similar in that the net result was that you were riding up real high. They made them from one frame only, not two. They turned the frame upside down so the crank was up on top like the pic below. I'm afraid I don't remember the details of how they welded the seat post, handlebars and etc. If anyone can figure out what I'm talking about, and has a pic of one, I'd love to see it.
B607
IMG_3883.jpg

Back in the day ('70's) A guy around the corner from me had an upside down bike like you describe.

I'm glad someone else has seen them. Now if we can get an old-time ratter to post a pic of one, I'll be happy.
Maybe someone even has one in working order. ?? B607

When I was growing up in the late-70's the paperboy delivered on a tallbike made from a Stingray frame flipped upside-down, with a long seatpost, and a steering wheel atop a piece of pipe.

I built this tallbike about 5 years ago for fun, and ended up riding it as my "commuter".
PDC_0191.jpg

Then I built this when the "fixie" thing took off, yeah, a fixed gear tallbike.
PDC_0068.jpg

There's gotta be well over 50 tallbikes in Portland.

"Tallbikes are so mainstream now." - C.H.V.N.K. DCLXVI

http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/

Johnny Payphone has compiled a history of tallbikes, it's pretty accurate.

http://www.johnnypayphone.net/tallbikes/

Quick question for B607, SkidMark, or any other tall bike riders out there-Do you feel any safer riding one?

I've thought about building a modest tall bike with the idea it would provide extra visibility, but then I think the newly licensed teenager texting while driving, the irate parent screaming at their kids in the backseat, or the ever-present drunk is going to run over me anyway, no matter what I'm riding. Yeah, I'm a pessimist. But would it make a difference?

I do think people see you better, and you can see further down the road, but there is the issue of having to dismount when you stop, or find something to lean against. I find the steering wheel to be the most helpful, I can talk on my cellphone and I don't have to signal :mrgreen:

My tall bike I built that I had until I needed to ''borrow'' some parts. Sorry about the blurry pic. Skidmark is that bridgestone kabuki frame on your fixie tall bike?
100_2573.jpg

Thanks to Lightfoot. That's real close to what I remember. The StingRay seats and bars weren't out quite yet, but the way they did the frame looks right.

GodHatesCleveland: No, I don't ride those things. I just wanted to see a pic of one I remember from my childhood. B607

Heres my tallchopper I named O'rnjila. This is probably one of the most fun bikes I have ever been on. The mirrors are no longer on it.

ornjila11.jpg

Back