Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I picked up Andy's broken rat trap fork...
and I have the '53 Spitfire...
I did test fit to make sure they were compatible...
Now I just walk by them and look at the crustiness.

Carl.

I had a notion to clean that fork before sending it to save weight on shipping, but I figured you'd wanna keep the original patina.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I had a notion to clean that fork before sending it to save weight on shipping, but I figured you'd wanna keep the original patina.

Actually I'll probably rub it down into a polished finish with the patina around the edges. It's a little different than the last one I had, it's all chrome. So I gotta bring a bit of that back, even though some of it like the struts will definitely be da'd and then painted since the chrome there is peeling off. Probably a satin red and then dulled and becrusted (is that the opposite of bedazzled?) to match the frame. It's killin' me walking by that thing and not working on it, but we got 4 months to build in so I'm not even going to clean it up yet.

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

well as long as we're all posting up our starting points and raw materials...
20190402_182143.jpg

I got this Murray Monterey frame in a trade here on RRB in 2008. I've built it up a couple of times. The first was a sorry mess, the second might have worked better if I had hunted some better parts. Now I have some of those better parts, so maybe the third time's the charm. Trying my best to leave it hanging there in the shed till May 1.

I like the Red, blue and Purple metalcasts. Topping with aacouple coats of clear ceramic within 30min of painting, makes it look like glass.View attachment 92017
Oh man, I may have to rethink the red walls I plan to use. That purple reminds me of Mopar Plum Crazy. And a purple 60's Plymouth Satellite theme might be the hot ticket on a 60's Spaceliner......

Anyone else remember the cartoon Tom Slick? It was a short tucked inbetween episodes of George of the Jungle and Super Chicken. Granny had a garage that converted Tom's car into whatever was needed for the next race... Be it a drag race or a dirigible race, Granny always rebuilt the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper. I think I just might use this theme if I can just get Granny over to my garage... I'm working on storylines now...

Carl.

Last edited:
Anyone else remember the cartoon Tom Slick? It was a short tucked inbetween episodes of George of the Jungle and Super Chicken. Granny had a garage that converted Tom's car into whatever was needed for the next race... Be it a drag race or a dirigible race, Granny always rebuilt the Thunderbolt Grease Slapper. I think I just might use this theme if I can just get Granny over to my garage... I'm working on storylines now...

Carl.
Don't remember that one. I was probably watching Road Runner or Wacky Races instead.

Carl.

I forgot all about that cool cartoon.
His arch nemesis was Otto Matic

Last edited:
@GuitarlCarl , oh yeah watched that regularly! I started humming the theme song right away ( before I saw KF's link). "Ta-am Slick *ba-dum-ba-dum-dum* Ta-am Slick!"

Can't wait to see what you cook up in your barn!

Back