Rat Del Sol build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Just found this site after searching for info on a Del Sol Shore Liner I picked up this weekend. This will be my first "mild" custom bicyle. I'm hoping to get some good ideas here. A LOT of very nice rides here. It's an aluminum stretched cruiser type frame,factory springer front end,full fenders & best of all, a 3speed. Here are a few pics of how I picked her up...

bicycleproject004.jpg

bicycleproject003.jpg

I know what you mean. I looked at several bikes that might fit my stature & I just so happened to find this on CL. I love the top tube & the way the seat stays are low & swooping. I think the gussets add a little something too.

Brought the frame to work with me today since it's been slow. Planning to smooth out the welds a bit before sending it out ot be media blasted. Thinking of fabbing up a home made jockey shifter for the 3spd. I love the gears, but dig the clean look of a single speed handlebar. Guess I gotta figure out what I'm gonna do before sending it out. Probably cut off a few of the original shifter cable guides along the downtube if I do change it up...

bicycleproject031.jpg

Build on Sol Brother

Welcome to the site and good luck with your build.
I have one of these bikes that I picked up as a donor for other projects.
The forks weren't quite the right fit for the other project.and the wheels were toast,
so now I am throwing all my spare parts at it to see what sticks.
I did keep the 3 speed hub, cables and shifter. The fenders made their way onto my pre war Flyer. Well the rear one anyway.
I'm just doing the bolt on build as I'm limited in work space and ventilation for now but I have some ideas! Those cable guides have to go for sure.
I wasn't a big fan of the frame myself, but it may grow on me. I'll keep an eye on your build too.

Build has been a little slower than I hoped. Figured going from building cars to a motorcycle to bikes, this would be quick. Mainly just the planning & making sure I do everything right the first time. I hope this ends up as cool as I'm evisioning it in my head. I should have an update in the next week or so. Planning to drop it off at the sandblaster next week sometime.

So, I guess it's about time for an update. It has been over a month afterall :roll: . I've been collecting parts & doing a lot of reading the past few weeks getting ideas. Instead of sending the bike out for blasting & coating, I decided to sand it down & rattle-can it for now until I get all the little details figured out. After I'm happy with it, I'll tear it completely down & send it out. I picked up some take-off rims pretty cheap locally for mock-up & a nice newer Schwinn seat for now until I can afford a Brooks. I also picked up tires,chains & a sprocket from Chimichanga. Peaked Hawthorne fenders are on the way. Not sure if I'll use them yet. Depends on how they look. I plan on installing a skiptooth chain,crankset & rear conversion sprocket so I can run my 3spd for the final build. Here are a couple pics for now. I'll update as the build & ideas progress...

PHONEPICS013.jpg

PHONEPICS012.jpg

Almost forgot the coolest part! I snatched up a repop Monark springer at a local bike swapmeet this past weekend for $25! :mrgreen: Not sure if I'll run it or go back to the original springer. That's one of the many things I still need to figure out. Thanks guys. Feel free to post comments or any ideas you might have. This is my first build. Any criticism is welcome!

I call dibs on the Monarch-clone springer if you don't use it!

BTW....Nice first bike! Once you get your first under your belt, it's easier to get more involved on the next one...ask me how I know!!!

(Samsung TV?)

Worked on the bike a bit today since it was slow. Put the original springer back on until I get the Monark repop reinforced. Mocked up a 40's(I think) Roadmaster chainguard that seemed to fit this bike quite well. Just attached with zip-ties for now until I have time to fab up some brackets. I'm still waiting for my Hawthorne peaked fenders & a Brooks seat. After everything looks good, it's all coming apart again. I have a few more ideas rolling around in my head. I'll update soon. So...what do you guys think so far???

PHONEPICS444.jpg

PHONEPICS443.jpg

PHONEPICS445.jpg

GREAT JOB!! FORGET WHAT WE THINK. BUILD ON BROTHER!! PEACE

Thanks for the kind words guys. I still have alot to do. Not sure I''m keeping the generator light set-up or going with something else. I do plan on running the wires inside the frame where possible. Then I'll cut off the 3-spd cable guides. Peaked fenders are in, and I'm also painting up the originals to make a comparison between the two. I'll post pics up as soon as I get them done & assembled. The Monark springer has been straightened, reinforced & painted. I'll install that this weekend. I'm hoping my seat comes in soon too. I don't think that Schwinn seat is really cutting it, though it is growing on me. I might fab up some simple "tank" plates for it too. Those gussets are kinda buggin' me the more I look at it...

andrew said:
Any updates on this Mike? Bike is lookin good as it sits!

Funny you should ask...as I do have an update. I'm still playing around with ideas, trying to get the "look" I'm envisioning in my head. It's been slow again here at the dealer, so I've had some extra time to tinker with it. I ordered a 27.2mm to 25.4mm(1") seat post shim & purchased some 1" round stock from a local metal yard. I had a buddy machine about 4" down to 7/8" for the seat to attach to. Yesterday i heated up the post & bent it back quite a bit so I can lay it back pretty far. It took a couple of tries, but we got it set just about right. I picked up an old ratty Brooks saddle to top it off. Now I have a comfortable bike to ride!
I also installed the original fenders,swapped out the tires with a set of clay ballooners from chimicanga,cleaned up a wheelset I got from a free Electra Hollywood cruiser,and temporarily bolted in a rear rack from a 30's Dayton we picked up. I still have to get the skiptooth crankset & chain in and decide what rims will be permanent so I can get the 3spd hub laced up & work on my suicide shifter. Here are a couple pics of how she looks now. LMK what you think!

IMAG0604.jpg

IMAG0602.jpg

I guess I'm due for another update. Guess nobody liked the last one cuz no one replyed. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say it at all,right? Well, I wasn't really digging it either. I still have to make some permanant "tank" plates to replace the cardboard ones on it now. I planned on making the real ones right away, but 3months later,they're still on there. Between working on my Fairlane,my Twin Bar and Colson, so I've been a little busy. I have to take more pics, but I've swapped the repopMonark springer for a Roadmaster. Had to trim down the tube & bars plus add some threads. I'll post pics of installed forks later today.

IMAG0895-1.jpg

I'm not a fan of red tires but ya bike is looking real good! Keep it up and take ya time. Ratters don't reply. I don't know why either. But I'm watching! Peace

Back