Rat Bone with trailer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
54shadow said:
funbobbee said:
That things awesome. Any chance we could have some pics of the bike linkage?
100_1150.jpg

This shows the piece of strap metal that bolts onto the rear axle stud.
100_1148.jpg

This shows the axle slot in the front fork, used as the yoke, that is connected to the trailer tongue with the washer welded in place and the cut off bolt with the keeper pin in it.
100_1146.jpg

Another view with the yoke connected to the strap metal.
100_1144.jpg

Dittos.
Hope these pics are clear enough to illustrate the set up.

Perfect. Thanks a million. Now, to the car boot sales...

kingfish254 said:
54shadow said:
funbobbee said:
I know... I'm 35 and found this site about 3 months ago. I've just found my first frame (that isn't a sodding mountain bike) 2 weeks ago and just started experimenting with what I wan to do. I haven't worked on bikes for years, but can't stop now. My daughter is desparate to get a trailer and I've promissed her I'll build one and your hook up looks awesome (i've never liked the side boom type). The biggest problem I have is finding parts, as there aren't many old cruiser style frames knocking about over here (Liverpool, England), but we do what we can...
Making do with what you have is the basis of RatBikes. What I have observed here is, the builder lays out pieces for the bike project and stimulates the gray matter. That, my friend, is what keeps your brain young and active. I am a classic example of that maxim. Just look around, the parts for your project are out there, keep your eyes peeled and your imagination active.

Well said! Plus, looking at what others are doing with everyday stuff on this site also keeps you thinking outside of the box. I now buy weird crap at yard sales because I see a headlight or bike tank or fake exhaust in it. In the South we call it Redneck Engineering, I think Brits call it Jerry Rigged. Either way, I are an ingenear!
I do try, but people do their best to things difficult. I was amazed the other day when I went to the local tip (scrap yard, dump etc.). I asked one of the guys there if I could grab an old bike that was sitting on the metal pile and he said he could lose his job if he let me take it. Apparently, all the places around here all have security cameras now and it's illegal to remove stuff from any of the dumps. Now, not only are we forced to recycle (which I don't mind and actively encourage), but now I am forced to separate anything I want to get rid of into separate classes of rubbish before I scrap it. Then, someone gets paid to get rid of it, but I can't reCYCLE (perfect word for this forum) anything which I think could be used for the greater good... How then do I intercept everone going to the tip with bikes before they go to the tip???

Well said! Plus, looking at what others are doing with everyday stuff on this site also keeps you thinking outside of the box. I now buy weird crap at yard sales because I see a headlight or bike tank or fake exhaust in it. In the South we call it Redneck Engineering, I think Brits call it Jerry Rigged. Either way, I are an ingenear![/quote]
I do try, but people do their best to things difficult. I was amazed the other day when I went to the local tip (scrap yard, dump etc.). I asked one of the guys there if I could grab an old bike that was sitting on the metal pile and he said he could lose his job if he let me take it. Apparently, all the places around here all have security cameras now and it's illegal to remove stuff from any of the dumps. Now, not only are we forced to recycle (which I don't mind and actively encourage), but now I am forced to separate anything I want to get rid of into separate classes of rubbish before I scrap it. Then, someone gets paid to get rid of it, but I can't reCYCLE (perfect word for this forum) anything which I think could be used for the greater good... How then do I intercept everone going to the tip with bikes before they go to the tip???[/quote]
Holy smokes, don't want you to get nicked by the "tip" police. We had a similar situation here with the "Cash for Clunkers" program. Some pretty nice old cars went to the "tip" yard and could not be resold, straight to the scrapper they went, what a shame. You will just have to keep a sharp eye and knock on doors to get the bikes before they get committed to the "tip" pile. Good luck your way, sir.

I do try, but people do their best to things difficult. I was amazed the other day when I went to the local tip (scrap yard, dump etc.). I asked one of the guys there if I could grab an old bike that was sitting on the metal pile and he said he could lose his job if he let me take it. Apparently, all the places around here all have security cameras now and it's illegal to remove stuff from any of the dumps. Now, not only are we forced to recycle (which I don't mind and actively encourage), but now I am forced to separate anything I want to get rid of into separate classes of rubbish before I scrap it. Then, someone gets paid to get rid of it, but I can't reCYCLE (perfect word for this forum) anything which I think could be used for the greater good... How then do I intercept everone going to the tip with bikes before they go to the tip???[/quote]
Holy smokes, don't want you to get nicked by the "tip" police. We had a similar situation here with the "Cash for Clunkers" program. Some pretty nice old cars went to the "tip" yard and could not be resold, straight to the scrapper they went, what a shame. You will just have to keep a sharp eye and knock on doors to get the bikes before they get committed to the "tip" pile. Good luck your way, sir.

Back