Rat Bone with trailer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Finally got the bugs worked out of the trailer tongue with the suggestion from a YouTube acquaintance. It has been a sticky wicket and a head scratcher. Sometimes you just have to step away from a project, and in time, the right answer will come to you, in this case, it was by a good friend that took one look at it and came up with the idea. If you have a few minutes, here is a short video of the results.

Thanks for watching,
54Shadow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPGG6pTR-c

Nicely done!
Love the "King of the Road" too. I grew up with 3 Roger Miller albums that my parents owned, so am one of the few people that know all of the words to "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd".

kingfish254 said:
Nicely done!
Love the "King of the Road" too. I grew up with 3 Roger Miller albums that my parents owned, so am one of the few people that know all of the words to "You Can't Roller Skate in a Buffalo Herd".

LOL, I remember that song, not all the words like you have mastered, still brings a smile to my old kisser. Now, the question I pose now, is, can you ride a bike in a buffalo herd?

54shadow said:
kingfish254 said:
Nicely done!

LOL, I remember that song, not all the words like you have mastered, still brings a smile to my old kisser. Now, the question I pose now, is, can you ride a bike in a buffalo herd?

No, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
All you gotta do is put your mind to it
Knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it.

Life lessons from 1960s vinyl.

kingfish254 said:
54shadow said:
kingfish254 said:
Nicely done!

No, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
All you gotta do is put your mind to it
Knuckle down, buckle down, do it, do it, do it.

Life lessons from 1960s vinyl.

Ah, the '60s, back when I still had hair and a '69 Schwinn Stingray 5-speed. At that point an time, that is all that I thought that I needed in life.

I love the trailer,looks like it handles the high speed just fine! :mrgreen:

funbobbee said:
That things awesome. Any chance we could have some pics of the bike linkage?
Sure thing. Will get some pics and post here tonight. I used the fork off of a $5 16" kids bike, cut the stem down, brazed some thick washer on both ends. Took a long bolt, welded a U-bracket to the head of the bolt and double nutted it on the threaded end so it would be tight but still rotate. Then, brazed washers into the axle slots on the fork, cut two pieces of strap metal and bolted them to the rear axle for the fork to hook up to. Cut two 1/4" bolts down to 1 1/4", drilled a small hole close to the end and put a keeper pin in it for security. I opted for this set up over making a long tongue and hooking it under the seat with the standard set up of a piece of looped heater hose, just not classy or complicated enough for me. Thanks for the thumbs up. Working on bikes makes me feel like a kid again.

I know... I'm 35 and found this site about 3 months ago. I've just found my first frame (that isn't a sodding mountain bike) 2 weeks ago and just started experimenting with what I wan to do. I haven't worked on bikes for years, but can't stop now. My daughter is desparate to get a trailer and I've promissed her I'll build one and your hook up looks awesome (i've never liked the side boom type). The biggest problem I have is finding parts, as there aren't many old cruiser style frames knocking about over here (Liverpool, England), but we do what we can...

funbobbee said:
I know... I'm 35 and found this site about 3 months ago. I've just found my first frame (that isn't a sodding mountain bike) 2 weeks ago and just started experimenting with what I wan to do. I haven't worked on bikes for years, but can't stop now. My daughter is desparate to get a trailer and I've promissed her I'll build one and your hook up looks awesome (i've never liked the side boom type). The biggest problem I have is finding parts, as there aren't many old cruiser style frames knocking about over here (Liverpool, England), but we do what we can...
Making do with what you have is the basis of RatBikes. What I have observed here is, the builder lays out pieces for the bike project and stimulates the gray matter. That, my friend, is what keeps your brain young and active. I am a classic example of that maxim. Just look around, the parts for your project are out there, keep your eyes peeled and your imagination active.

54shadow said:
funbobbee said:
Making do with what you have is the basis of RatBikes. What I have observed here is, the builder lays out pieces for the bike project and stimulates the gray matter. That, my friend, is what keeps your brain young and active. I am a classic example of that maxim. Just look around, the parts for your project are out there, keep your eyes peeled and your imagination active.

Well said! Plus, looking at what others are doing with everyday stuff on this site also keeps you thinking outside of the box. I now buy weird crap at yard sales because I see a headlight or bike tank or fake exhaust in it. In the South we call it Redneck Engineering, I think Brits call it Jerry Rigged. Either way, I are an ingenear!

kingfish254 said:
54shadow said:
funbobbee said:

Well said! Plus, looking at what others are doing with everyday stuff on this site also keeps you thinking outside of the box. I now buy weird crap at yard sales because I see a headlight or bike tank or fake exhaust in it. In the South we call it Redneck Engineering, I think Brits call it Jerry Rigged. Either way, I are an ingenear!
Kingfish, I would consider it an honor to tag along with you any Saturday to a yard sale and watch the master at work.

54shadow said:
Kingfish, I would consider it an honor to tag along with you any Saturday to a yard sale and watch the master at work.

If you're ever in Savannah on a Sat morning let me know. You can see some of the different stuff I have been getting in my finds thread.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43238&p=421261#p421261

funbobbee said:
That things awesome. Any chance we could have some pics of the bike linkage?
100_1150.jpg

This shows the piece of strap metal that bolts onto the rear axle stud.
100_1148.jpg

This shows the axle slot in the front fork, used as the yoke, that is connected to the trailer tongue with the washer welded in place and the cut off bolt with the keeper pin in it.
100_1146.jpg

Another view with the yoke connected to the strap metal.
100_1144.jpg

Dittos.
Hope these pics are clear enough to illustrate the set up.

kingfish254 said:
54shadow said:

If you're ever in Savannah on a Sat morning let me know. You can see some of the different stuff I have been getting in my finds thread.
*car door slamming, tires peeling out*

54shadow said:
kingfish254 said:
54shadow said:

*car door slamming, tires peeling out*
In a historical place like Savannah, it ought to be loaded with treasures for the avid rat biker.

54shadow said:
In a historical place like Savannah, it ought to be loaded with treasures for the avid rat biker.

I find some cool stuff, and it is a big enough town that I have a good market for selling bikes too. But I really haven't found that many true vintage bikes.

Back