Raleigh Technium Lugged MTB

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this one destined for the trash heap. Its a bit strange, it has a lugged frame and full shimano deore components. Not sure about this bike most likely a complete part out. I remember when I was regularly selling bicycles I had one or two people always looking for lugged MTB frames. Why is a lugged MTB frame so special, I know its fairly rare as I've only had one other lugged mtb through out the hundreds of bikes I've sold.

raleigh008.jpg

raleigh009.jpg

raleigh010.jpg

The Technium bikes aren't normal lugged frames. They're aluminum tubes bonded to steel lugs with some kind of aircraft adhesive. Very, very strong bonds.

We sold 'em at the shop I worked at. I saw a couple of cracked frames...never at the lugs tho. the tubes would break first.

Decent bikes from the Seattle era Raleigh. Nice find.

I remember those bikes, they were a nice bike at the time.
The shop I worked at sold a few of them.
We used to get requests from customers all the time looking for lugged MTB frames, Most of these customers were from the road bike crowd where lugged frames were the norm.
I heard alot of debates over the "feel" of a lugged frame over a welded frame.
I personally could never tell the difference.
Im kinda old school and still prefer the ride of a good chromoly frame over a stiff aluminum frame.

Anyways nice find!!!!

While they make great city bikes I'd say you're probably looking at $50-75 for the frame and fork. Complete Technium bikes often go for $125 -150.

Unfortunately anyone looking for a lugged MTB is gonna be looking for a steel one.

Latest posts

Back