Raleigh Chopper MK1 COBRA

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is my second muscle bike project. Its a raleigh chopper mk1, a 68? It was missing some parts when i got it but i think its good to go now. The bike is already stripped and pianted camero gold, paint code 53. I tried to bid twice on ebay for an original seat but lost out on both so im gonna have it reupholstered the same way with leather, well maybe. I call it the cobra just out of fun of saying, what if I designed for Raleigh, I would do something like this. I really hated the knobby rear tires so i got a nos slick from ebay i was eyeing for a while. This is what it looked like in april.
IMG_9753.jpg

IMG_9763.jpg

IMG_9764.jpg

I got all the parts i wanted. Some not shown. The rear wheel came already re-chromed from the Uk.
Picture001.jpg

My donor bike is a 70's Raleigh sport where I'll be taking the caliper's and breaks from. I think i might be able to use the bearings also because the chopper has some wrong ones.

My insperation. A 71 camero z28.

wheels_ODD-Papa-Johns-Car.jpg

Also have you guy's ever seen a chopper that didn't have the cotter pin like this? And in the other end of the kick-stand instead? Someone told me my kickstand resembled a schwinn kickstand, if this bike is an early model for the Usa then raleigh just put on what was lying around?
standremovpin.jpg
I couldn't figure how to get mine out so it's just gonna be masked off.

Getting this bike painted at a reasonable time from my local painter was like tryna win a war with just 2 men and a loud obnoxious chicken. Anyway I like the paint color, not too much the paint job. thought the camero gold would've been a little lighter but it still looks cool. Very flashy color in sunlight. Next is to get the decals, seat cover, and rechrome some parts.
IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg
Oh thats Shelby my cat in the background, named her after the Sheby Gt 500.

This bike looks GREAT! Love that rear tire. And thats not a 68, thats a 71 you've got pictured :wink:

RatfinkCustoms said:
This bike looks GREAT! Love that rear tire. And thats not a 68, thats a 71 you've got pictured :wink:

Thanks for the info :D So the 71's came whith schwinn like kickstands?

Dan Jose said:
RatfinkCustoms said:

Im talking about the camaro! :lol:

RatfinkCustoms said:
Dan Jose said:
RatfinkCustoms said:

Im talking about the camaro! :lol:

LOl, I thought it was a 68 0r 69 but I guess I was still off.

Dan Jose said:
RatfinkCustoms said:

....you one funny guy.... :lol: .......your's looks very cool 8)

I have a soft spot for the Raleigh Choppers. A local bike shop owner had the same feeling and bought one at a swap but for more than he wanted to. Want won on that sale, still he got a nice looking, in original shape bike.

I always wanted a mussle bike but didn't want to pay for one in good shape. Your bike has giving me an idea that one could build one retro build in the MK1 COBRA style. I always said why not make an old bike like the one you want but can't afford or find. You shot some nice pictures with detail. Like some of my other projects I'll collect the parts I'll need and box them for latter. Thanks for posting your bike.
I bought some 1/8" 3M pinstripe from a local auto parts store, less than $10 would be more than enough :wink: Give it a try on your bike.

GL

Graylock said:
Dan Jose said:
RatfinkCustoms said:

....you one funny guy.... :lol: .......your's looks very cool 8)

I have a soft spot for the Raleigh Choppers. A local bike shop owner had the same feeling and bought one at a swap but for more than he wanted to. Want won on that sale, still he got a nice looking, in original shape bike.

I always wanted a mussle bike but didn't want to pay for one in good shape. Your bike has giving me an idea that one could build one retro build in the MK1 COBRA style. I always said why not make an old bike like the one you want but can't afford or find. You shot some nice pictures with detail. Like some of my other projects I'll collect the parts I'll need and box them for latter. Thanks for posting your bike.
I bought some 1/8" 3M pinstripe from a local auto parts store, less than $10 would be more than enough :wink: Give it a try on your bike.

GL

Thanks. I thought about the pinstripe thing but wasnt sure how it would look. I was thinking of getting some decals custom made saying cobra. Maybe I'll draw em out to see what they look like.

I think i have a full set of decals in white if you are interested.

Send me a PM or an email.

[email protected]

BTW - your build looks great. I have some miscellaneous bearings and a sissy bar I think and maybe a few other tidbits I would have to look for. LMK what other parts you are in need of.

Joe

deorman said:
I can just picture this bike with a bent 26" fork. 8) (And some canvas hi-tops! :lol: )

I wanted to get a custom chrome bent fork for it but... :|

yeshoney said:
I think i have a full set of decals in white if you are interested.

Send me a PM or an email.

[email protected]

BTW - your build looks great. I have some miscellaneous bearings and a sissy bar I think and maybe a few other tidbits I would have to look for. LMK what other parts you are in need of.

Joe

Thanks, but I got all the parts already. I needed black decals but im gonna hold off on buying them until i decide if im gonna design one especially for tthis bike.

Looks great! I like the gold.
Sean

Back