rainy day build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time this morning drooling over a bunch of cool RRB pics in the gallery thread and got motivated to go build a bike with all the spare parts I had laying about. This is what I ended up with, half Murray half Free spirit ten speed wiht s few odd's and ens thrown in.

Mounted the headlight with skateboard bushings.

Didn't have grips so I made some with an old garden hose and bottle caps. This was way harder then it should have been btw.

What have any of you guys made grips out of?

I'm digging the build.... would love to get a better look at the crank!

I've never gotten too creative with grips.... Aside from actual grips, I tend to use cotton road bike bar tape, cut to length for whatever size "grips" I want....sometimes, I run it double-layered for extra thickness, but usually I just do it single-layered. Shellac afterwards, and it lasts forever.. Or, I'll just use an old inner tube and electric tape for a plush rubber grip. These last well, too, but the rubber will dry rot and crack in time...

This was a ten speed crank from a free spirit bike, I took my grinder and ground off the rivets holding it together and used the smaller sprocket and bolted the chain ring back on.

Very interesting build. Is that a 26x1 3/8 from the free spirit for the front wheel combo and fork? I do the like the skinny tire front and balloon rear.

How does it ride? I never thought about running a 26x1 3/8" ISO590 for the front of a 26" ISO559 bike. I have a set of vintage 26 1 3/8" rims that I have debated what to use them for and your build has given me some new ideas.

A point to ponder: a 26x2.125" tire on a 559 rim is only 3mm larger in overall diameter than a regular 26x1 3/8 tire on a 590 rim. Thats <1/8". So, typically, the ATC of the fork is similar between balloon bikes and 26" lightweights.... so, the geo won't change much, but the visual impact of the fat/skinny combo looks pretty good.

@Nagant, yes the bike rides great, I can't really notice that the tires are different sizes. The only problem I have is, I need to replace the stem because it is slightly stripped.

Latest posts

Back