Railroad Stuff/ BNSF/ all that?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
raggedjim said:
For the build-off I designed a train grapic for my chainguard. I love trains.

Rg

DSC00231.jpg

That is SWEET!! 8) 8)

I work for a short line or class 3 railroad called the ann arbor Railroad. I used to work for the norfolk and southern.

FWIW, my daughter just landed a job taking photos of tourists on the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge.

th-1.jpg

I'm curious to see how that works out for her, she's pretty excited... :D

Bendix said:
FWIW, my daughter just landed a job taking photos of tourists on the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge.

th-1.jpg

I'm curious to see how that works out for her, she's pretty excited... :D

Can she get any discounts on tickets. I wanted to take my wife on that the last time we were down there, Its really expensive. A pretty part of the state for sure that hasn't caught fire yet. On the Front Range sub that goes from Denver to Cheyenne, there is a smoke cloud that we have to go through from Berthod to Wellington, about 25 miles, that even with the windows closed still makes my eyes burn. Im heading that way again in an hour

heyslugger said:
raggedjim said:
For the build-off I designed a train grapic for my chainguard. I love trains.

Rg

DSC00231.jpg

How's this coming along?

Check out my build thread in my signature. Right now it is lots of sanding, getting the frame ready for paint.

Thanks for asking, Rg

heyslugger said:
I am pretty excited FOR her!!! Wow. I hope you will post up her work if at all possible! What a gig!

Interesting job. they shoot the passengers on the way to silverton, then sprint off to a little space in silverton where they process and edit the digital prints, ready the packets for sale, grab lunch somewhere if time permits, and then lug a big box o' pics back to the train where they hope folks will purchase them on the way back down to durango...

they're supposed to stick to business, so there's no personal train photography going on- but i did snap a shot of her going back to "the office" one day last week while i was jeeping in the area... dads are required to embarass their kids, right? i think it's the law... :D

DSC_0115-2-46-hjpg2b-sjpg-2-sf.jpg

another poster mentioned colorado fires- i read this article in the durango paper while i was there, it shows the lengths the railroad goes to in stopping the fires it starts. pretty interesting stuff. :wink:

http://durangoherald.com/article/201207 ... -wildfires

Your'e not suppossed to like them them if you work for them but what the heck. This last weekend, The UP ran the Frontier Days Special between Denver and Cheyenne a few times. I just dumped a coal train at the Platte River plant and returned to Cheyenne. We then deadheaded back to Denver. When we were leaving Cheyenne, The frontier days special was pulling back in to town after being turned on the balloon track to take people back to Denver. It does excite me to see the old monstrous steam engines working like that pulling the heritage coaches. Im thankful for the modern diesels and all their comforts and there is no way I would want to work on a steam engine but nothing screams "America" more than one fired up blowing smoke as it rolls down the track. I didn't have my phone turned on yet so I wasn't able to get even one picture.

I dunno, the steam locomotive was invented by a British guy after all. Here in Los Angeles we have the ATSF 3751 steam engine that we keep in the roundhouse. We pull it out a few times a year for special occasions. There is most definitely some majesty to it, I'll give you that.

Does any collect or have any cool hobo artwork, stories, artwork, etc. I just got a rambler inspired tattoo and planning on getting a colossus of roads one as well.

Has anybody mentioned Emperor of the North yet? Best railroad movie ever made, and the only one that us railroaders actually like. At least around here.

ruddigger said:
Has anybody mentioned Emperor of the North yet? Best railroad movie ever made, and the only one that us railroaders actually like. At least around here.

I was just thinking about Ernest / Shack the other day! I do believe that will be watched tonight!

great movie
currently reading knights of the road, would like to know anyone's opinion on other good railroad/hobo inspired books.

We have a train museum near here. They used to have a steam engine which I rode behind but not sure if they still have that one. Pay $120 and they'll "train you" and put you behind the controls for 1/2 hour. Gary Here's the link: http://www.mrym.org/

Latest posts

Back