r occ choppers bikes to ride or just parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dragnusa said:
To me what makes a bike collectable is the bond that you make with a kind of bike that later in life sparks a good memory, for me its old bmx and muscle bikes and old cruisers.

That is the best response made here yet! So So True!

I see the error of my ways now. In 25 years, there will be a 40 year old man who sees an OCC Chopper bike for sale somewhere and he will remember his, get nostalgic and pay WAY more than any of us ever would. I get it now.

However, does this make it collectible? To someone yes, to the masses? Who knows? How many kids have had and made a bond with these OCC bikes? Time will tell.

Collectables are in the eye of the beholder.
Believe it or not, there are people out there who think those banana seat bikes and heavy fendered tank bikes are just outdated junk...

Some people.....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Believe it or not, there are people out there who think those banana seat bikes and heavy fendered tank bikes are just outdated junk...

I like to buy from those people!!!!!!

kingfish254 said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:

I like to buy from those people!!!!!!

Me too!

Personally I've owned so many bikes in my childhood and adulthood that the many OCC and WCC choppers I've had don't even register on the top 100 list of bikes I want to own again. If I find one cheap I still grab it but as far as having a connection with it I would say there are many way cooler bikes I've had a connection with and I wouldn't hesitate to chop up an OCC or WCC.

I've read a lot of interesting theories on bikes and what makes them collectible. I think there are a lot of factors, and of course, super-rare, high-quality/limited run bikes will likely build value as they age, assuming they're kept nice.

That being said, for cheap- to mid-level bikes, those that sell in very high volume to kids are most likely to build value. Why? B/c few of them will be kept in tip-top shape, but sooooo many potential buyers will have fond memories of their childhood bikes and look to buy them. Those little kids on OCCs in the 2000s will (hopefully) be wealthy in the 2030s, and willing to pay a fairly nice price for a slice of nostalgia. Once that ball gets rolling, all of y'all flippers will start buying them at low-ish prices in hopes of selling them for high-ish prices. This will promote the snowball effect, and then all bets are off.

Meanwhile, awesome bikes like the US-made S&M LTF will probably be collectible, but possibly not as much as OCC. Unjust, but understandable.

Think I'm wrong? Consider the fact that Schwinn sold, far and away, the most bikes out of any US manufacturer from ww2 up to the 1970s. Arguably, they are as common as it gets. Yet, they build more value than most of their contemporaries, with a few actual rare, unique, and awesome bikes (like Elgin Bluebirds) being notable exceptions.

Right now, as the last vestiges of US manufacturing are slipping away, the China vs US-made thing seems hugely important. It's very important to me, as well, but it remains to be seen whether or not this will have an effect on future collectability, or what effect it will have if it does.

Each to their own. Personally I am only down with old school models because of the truly incredible quality of the build. Frankly, do the parts even last on those? If someone wants to clean up the OCCs on ebay and CL so I can sift quickly to the real stingrays, by all means, go to town. :lol:

The occ choppers were supposedly designed by the teutels and released at the height of the "chopper" motorcycle fad. This was all big business and schwinn was trying to cash in on this. Thats not a bad thing as the original stingray grew from schwinn copying what the cool kids were doing to their bikes. I think that is where the disconnect lies with these bikes. They bare (in their stock state) no resemblance to the og stingray.I understand that they were reimagined but these bikes went the style over substance or even usefullness route.There was no grass roots bikes being built by kids like this.Most kids at that time (and today) ride bmx bikes cause u can do tricks, they're cheap, and tough as nails. That being said I like mine. It looks kinda cool and makes a rurarura sound rolling down the street. I modded mine to fit me (banana seat for leg room and apes for arm room) and is quite comfy. As far as being collectible? Not so much. They made a bunch and I don't think there is a real fan base. I like mine but then I cut two more up for a fat tire build. Didn't feel bad about it either

The top one is my club brother's OCC Stingray. His is in really great shape sept some rust on the chain and fender.

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2 ... 8&refid=17

It's my belief they are either or. They could be a mod bike to where you can tinker with it and throw more parts and even a motor on it, or just an awesome cruising ride. But I also STRONGLY believe when OCC produced them; they were intended to be moded.

occ was always a joke... lets not fling the term design around so willy nilly... they were never part of the chopper craze... that was in the late 60's and 70's... Rolex riders/ RUBS trying to be tough guys on the weekend and that only.
every one in the shop scratched their head the first occ bike we saw in 2000, never heard of them, nor saw any reason to care... the worst handle bars i have ever seen.
i cringed every time i saw anything "designed" by them..
Arlen built out the dublin shop with out a single loan, all out of pocket.... before any tv show anything... he did it with family, and an amazing work environment... dudes work will always stand up. notice the gimmick is done.
they had nothing to do with the design of the bikes, it was a licencing deal. they sold the use of their logo for product branding.

^^^
I love OCC, but the man has a point. The fact they were a family with different artistic differences in the first place is what made Jr. left. I can even see why Vinny and Ric left. They didnt want all the baggage that followed. They were a small business at one point without wanting all that fame crap. But now theyre a multi million dollar corporation. Sellouts so to speak. WCC aint even that big. In short the OCC stingrays as cool as they are, just were a figurehead to make schwinn and OCC a small but profitable payload.

I have owned one OCC Stingray. Found it on Craigslist for 60 bucks. 95 Percent rust free (it was the chrome model), and still had the ""L" and "R" stickers on the fork legs. I honestly miss that bike, as I sold it years ago. My little cousin seen mine and fell in love with it...so he gave me the money to buy him one. I came across a green/chrome/black one soon after. After I checked over everything, a buddy of mine went and I out and rode them both around. They were fun to ride down on the road. Me personally...I'd ride'em. I'm fairly short (5' 6") so I fit on alright (with the seat raised up). If they are rusted up, with the seat screwed up and other issues...I'd get it and part it out should the price be right.

For some odd reason...people around here are selling them 100 bucks and over . Its ridiculous. Highest I have seen one go for around here is 400 bucks. I do see them within a price I'd be willing to pay from time to time though. I guess some people see the "Schwinn" , "Stingray", and "OCC" names and see big $$$$$$$$$$. Those are the people I honestly laugh at.

I have had five I've got three of them left that I bought when they came out new. The three was rode very little and in almost perfect condition because the out of shape boys that had to have them could not pedal them on the flat road let alone the hills. I paid from $35-50 dollars for them after there dads paid $250.00 for them they all said the same thing my boy doesn't like to ride them they are to hard to ride them, one of them is a flat Black Stealth that is real nice and I have one WCC left I going to keep them and see what happens.

my occ. Is very comfy to ride with simple mods, apes and nana seat. I'm 5'10" and the nanas on the lowest setting on the sissy bar

wanda024_zps9da1664a.jpg

Been sharing a few 'thoughts' with 'froggy' about these bikes, so here's my .02

I personally don't think nearly as negatively about the OCC Stingrays (or the BFK Krates) as most do. Perhaps, it's the whole 'Sting-Ray' thing, maybe if Schwinn/OCC/Walmart would have came up with another name and/or if TV hadn't ruined OCC, things would be different. Maybe it's because I've never owned what most people would consider a 'premium' bicycle, so, to me, these are bikes are a canvas for creativity.

I just like that fat rear tire and the triple tree forks, ya know? As bicycle designers in the 20s-30s copied the look of motorcycles of their day, albeit with higher grade materials and craftsmanship, Schwinn/Pacific were doing the same thing. They were capitalizing on the then current trend of choppers. Unfortunately, like most things made these days, they will inevitably have a much shorter lifespan than their two-wheeled ancestors.

So, I say, restore them, modify them, cut them up for parts, love them, hate them, they're just bicycles, that's all, relax, enjoy and ride.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Latest posts

Back