Quill style seatpost help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm trying to replace this seat post with a layback style one and just realized that it relies on a quill style seatpost to tighten it down. If I go with a layback style I'll lose the ability to lock it down. Anyone have any suggestions on a workaround? The post starts at 7/8" and tapers to about 5/8".

IMG_20130203_115635_zps39f1512f.jpg

have something made or cut a slot in the seat tube and add a seat post collar. drill a hole at the base of the slot to both allow some flex and keep the slot from growing.

you might be able to modify a quill stem somehow into a laid back post

hmm unfortunately i don't have access to any welding equipment but that's a great idea if i did.

i had thought of cutting a slot in the tube but it didn't occur to me to drill a hole at the end. very smart. curious if a pipe clamp would work in a pinch...

look at some old stems and cut off the handle bar clamp part. Might have to do some hand filing to make the seat guts fit the new area you cut off.

If I use a laid back post on my Hawthorne 5 bar, I am going to have the same issue. It uses a quill seat post and has no way of adding a clamp to the seat tube.

Voyager Al, would you trust it to hold a 250 pound man who wants to keep his deep voice?

20131116_131726_zps3724fb68.jpg

I myself would just bolt on a mtb bar end to the original post. Cutt the curved part off the bar end and bolt the seat on.
Use a steel one, not alloy.

Back