Quick question about wheels and tires.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I knew the answers were on this site. Currently I'm rolling on my rat rod fixie: a generic beach cruiser frame with 2 1/4" wide tires. It looks gnarly but it can be a bit harsh to ride. Thinking of converting over to an old Mt. bike frame and running some skinnier tires.

This week I replaced my 26 x 2.25 whitewall tires on my cruiser with 26 x 1.75 on the front and a 26 x 2.35 on the back.
They look awsome and fit the rims just fine.

So there I was, cruising with my chica and her kid to her family's house this last week. Got a trunk mounted rack with my bike on it and the boy's bmx. My front wheel is hanging low near the exhaust - nothing unusual there. 30 min into the trip we heard a pop. I stopped checked and the tire popped. The heat from the exhaust did it in and by the time we finally stopped to eat, the tired had melted.

So we get to her family's house. Her dad gives me a taller mt bike frame to use and I go ahead and run the 1.75 mt tires the donor bike had. The new set up up (frame and tires) makes the whole thing actually look worse than my original set up. Pretty awesome. Now the most expensive thing on the bike is my sealed bearing flip flop hub.

Back