Question (spoke threads)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently came across a 1943 ladies Schwinn. I'm trying to save this bike on the cheap and was wondering if I could cut spokes from a 27" rim down to fit a 26" rim? then tread the spokes with a regular die instead of a roller die? This bike is more for show than to be ridden

No, the rolling.causes the metal to be displaced which makes the threads larger than the spoke itself.
Note: as you get into older bikes the spokes were threaded, not rolled.

Its just not worth it....you can buy butted ss DT or Wheelsmith spokes on ebay for 50c ea or less, and straight gauge for much less...go onto a spoke calculator online and use your rim/hub mearsurements, spoke count and lacing pattern to come up with the EXACT spoke length.
Best part about new ss spokes is they flash chromelike when riding the bike..skpc

Still not worth it...rusty spokes and nipples are a pain in the butt.
Keep and eye out for an old wheel with the same hub and rim dimensions, and rob the old butted spokes from it if not rusted out...sometimes you can
find old useable spokes that way..

Check with your LBS to see what they would charge to cut and roll them. Take a 26 in spoke with you and no one has to measure anything. I needed one replacement one time and the LBS did it for free. I provided the spokes.

Latest posts

Back