Question for you wheel build experts...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You got a stand, right?
Wha... a kick stand?:21:

If you're referring to a truing stand, this is the first wheels I've laced... wanted to see if I could get past this before investing in a truing stand, maybe even put together a couple more wheels!

Of course if you're referring to a bike stand... and alluding to using a fork? I put a fork in a vice for this initial attempt... still a little sketchy looking!

All pretty much on hold for about two to three weeks, going into surgery tomorrow and going to have to immobile for a full week... laying face down... watching Hulu on a laptop... pretty sure I'll be climbing the walls!:confused:

Try a fork from a junk bike. Drill holes through the fork on both sides where the rim will be. Then put screws through those holes so that you can adjust them in and out. Get them to where the same amount of threaded portion protrudes toward the rim without touching it. That's the part that is centered. If any of that makes sense...

Try a fork from a junk bike. Drill holes through the fork on both sides where the rim will be. Then put screws through those holes so that you can adjust them in and out. Get them to where the same amount of threaded portion protrudes toward the rim without touching it. That's the part that is centered. If any of that makes sense...
Get the "hop" out of the wheel first , then get the side to side true

A scrap fork is really all you need to perform truing at home, it just won't be as versatile as the manufactured ones. Strap a zip-tie onto the fork blade near the rim to use as your pointer. Carefully flip the wheel left-to-right to check your dishing. I have no access to a stand at home, but I can still get the adjustment pretty close.

Back