Question For The Dyno Aficiando's

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chaps.

I have a question, or question's, to ask of you on a very recent Craiglist purchase of mine. After years of searching and being literally days away from giving up and ordering the Micargi copy, my holy grail of beach cruisers popped up on the local Craigslist. A Dyno Roadster!! A real one with all the correct 'D' stamps on the frame, handlebars, pedal end caps and chain ring!!! A very rare beast indeed in these parts as the terrain around the locality here to the north east of Atlanta GA doesn't lend itself well to an 8 foot long, single geared stretch cruiser. Anyway, it was love at first sight and after learning that 2 others were also interested in the bike, I had to have it.

During the excitement of picking the bike up I didn't even notice until I'd got it safely loaded and tied down in the bed of the truck, that the decals on the bike actually said "roadster ltd" and not just roadster. Now for the questions. On researching Dyno Roadsters I'd learned that the "Roadster Ltd"s" were the rarest of them all, having been made in 1997 only and being equipped with the Dyno-matic 4 speed hub. Now, my 'Ltd' has the regular single speed coaster brake rear hub leading me to believe that I'd got just a regular Roadster that a previous owner had just put the 'Ltd' decals on for whatever reason.

On doing more internet based research on getting it home and checking the serial number on the frame (the serial number confirms it was produced in April 1997) that puts it in the correct year for a LTD at least. On checking the bike closely after a good wash and polish which is all it needed (it is in amazingly fantastic original condition, even down to the original GT whitewall's, having just a few scratches on the rear fender and not a sign of rust anywhere) I did notice a faint mark on the right side handlebar where a band of some sort appears to have been clamped to the bars. Signs of a shifter perhaps that had long been removed??

I'd also found a post on another forum from someone claiming that he'd spoke to someone who'd met someone (Hmmmm??) who worked for the company back then and the only red Roadsters produced in 1997 were indeed all LTD's and only 25 red ones were ever made. Mine is indeed red...wagon red I believe it is called. So guys.....as most of you know infinitely more about Dyno's than I currently do, what is your advice? Do I have just a Roadster that someone had changed the decals out for Roadster Ltd ones (they did a great job on that by the way, correct placement and alignment according to all the pics of Roadster Ltd's that I have found) or is there a possiblity that I have a bit special (a Ltd) that someone changed the Dyno-matic rear wheel and shifter out on for the standard single speed? Either way, I'm loving this bike and have abandoned all original plans of changing parts out, powdercoating, chopping around a little to keep the bike in the totally original condition it is in.

Thanks in advance of any knowledge you might be able to throw my way.

I have been doing the Dynos a long time, only "factory," rarity is owned by a member of Chapparodoes. In fact the rarest cruiser frame Dyno(GT) made is owned by one of their members, who cutt it up and made a roadster out of it!
Most likely, your rear wheel(s) got switched out.
I also believe L.T.D. meant 4 speed, nothing more.

old dynos sre one of my favorite bikes,one of mine is a mooneyes with a prototype computor rear,built by nokomas cycles here in minneapolis,mn,the original 4 speed may have been swapped out for better gearing as they were an over drive unit with 1rst gear being 1 to 1 and 2 thru 4 were higher ratios

Thanks for the info guys, you've steered me towards what I was leaning towards myself. That it is/was a Ltd but with the 4 speed swapped out. Not that rare as far as Dyno's in general are concerned but still, one of possibly only 25 red Ltd's ever made is good enough for me. This is the first Dyno model that I have owned and ever got near too infact and to say that I'm very impressed with the top notch quality of welds, details, components, paint, ride quality (this thing glides) etc etc has left me as a Dyno convert. They are fantastic bikes.

If this works there should be some pics of the new bike in all it's glory below

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/835/u831.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/838/dcmx.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x456q90/835/iib6.jpg

I think all roadsters were red one year......
Dyno roadsters, cruisers haven't been made in years, and were only made a few years. All of them are kinda rare! But not rare like some of the old bikes on this site.

Back