Question about powder coats

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to paint my new monark springers. Can I just lightly sand the black powder coat and use it as a primer, or will enamel just flake and peel off later on? Will paint stripper work on powder coats?

You should be able to paint over the powder coat, at a place I worked at we would clear coat powdercoated frames all the time. So, I assume you could paint it just fine...

Thanks guys, Those forks have a thick layer of powder coat and I really don't want to take them down to bare metal. I guess I'll see how it works out.

yes you can paint over powdercoat but scuf itwith a fine sandpaper like 220 or 320 grit also a red scotch brite scuff pad will work also avalibale at auto or hardware store make sure that the part is dirt and greese free good luck

I used a rattle can to paint over a powdercoated monark front end a few months ago, and I've been riding on it ever since, no problems whatsoever. Just scuff it with intermediate (120 grit or so) sandpaper.

Back