Question about New Dept Model D

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for a New Departure model D hub to take a quarter turn before engaging after coasting? I have taken apart this hub about three times now and no matter what i do i get the same results. What is happening is that after pedaling if i coast for a bit and then go back to pedaling it takes about a quarter turn of my crank before the hub engages the back wheel again. Is this normal for it being an old hub? i usually ride road bikes so i'm used to the hub engaging right away, anyone with some expertise please share some knowledge. thanks.

The transfer spring is in there, what should i be looking for in the transfer spring? Anyway to retighten or how do i go about fixing the transfer spring assuming it is not broken? How do i know if its broken? thanks

Are you sure you didn't leave out some of the friction discs/washers? Are they heavily worn? If that stack is not thick enough it will cause this issue. Note that the first and last washers should be the non-lugged ones.

Crassly said:
PM me your mailing address and I will send you a new transfer spring.
Hey thanks Crassly for the transfer spring. While disassembling my bicycle yesterday for clear coat i took apart the hub once again and replaced the transfer spring and the problem was taken care of. Thanks again for sending me that. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back