Question about black plating type

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I am rebuilding/restoring a late 1970s MX bike and the crank & kickstand came from the factory with a black finish (versus a more typical silver zinc or cad plated finish). Does anyone know if this black finish was typically black zinc, black oxide or was it something else? Just trying to duplicate the factory finish as closely as possible. Thanks.

If it wasnt paint and the crank is aluminum, it could be anodized. Not surr how old anodizing is. Then theres powder coat and other static charge coatings.

I remember these. This was the so called "heat treated" parts. Flat black finish on a steel substrate. Really the black finish had nothing to do with the the heat treating process. I think the parts used an automotive high temperature paint finish.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try something like VHT Prep Spray then Epoxy Paint in Satin Black. Rust Oleum also has some durable high temp paints.

Thanks Kick Back. My project is actually building a 'replica' of the yellow 1978 Sears Screamer MX bike, which apparently is very rare. It is just like the silver AMF Avenger 350, just a different color and seat. I am starting with a beat up Avenger 350 frame and girder forks. I think for now I will just go with a satin black powder coat on the kickstand, pedal crank arm and forks/handlebars. That look will be close enough for now.
78catalog2a.jpg

77amfavenger3502i.jpg

Wow, my little brother, Coach J had a screamer when we were kids. the forks were heavy and NOT good for taking off jumps and ramps. It was cool, but not the best BMX'er out there.

ratdaddy said:
Wow, my little brother, Coach J had a screamer when we were kids. the forks were heavy and NOT good for taking off jumps and ramps. It was cool, but not the best BMX'er out there.

Cool. Yeah, I don't remember doing a whole lot of jumping, etc. with my Screamer but it was a cool ride. Who would have thought these were so rare? I have been searching ebay and all over the net for several years and I have yet to see anyone else's pictures of theIr Screamer (besides mine and the Sears catalog pictures that I have posted) but I have seen several variations of the AMF Avenger bikes. Here are a couple more pictures of mine, just after I got it, plus back in 1980 I converted my Screamer into a General Lee bike. This was at the height of the Dukes of Hazzard TV show. Also a shot of my original Owner's Manual.
SCREAMERBMX001.jpg

78manual1.jpg

at the time we got the bike, my dad was the district manager for Sears Catalog Stores here in the Colorado area. I talked to Coach J a little bit ago about it, and he said that was his first, brand new bike he ever had. We got a few freebies/cheapies that were returns to the catalog stores, but that bike was the first purchased bike we had in a long time.

Latest posts

Back