Putting This Inspiration To Bed, UPDATED look

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've had this LIFE Magazine cover for some time as an inspiration, to remind me that bicycles can be odd, and still awesome:

bed-tallbike.jpg

I mention this, because I finally built a bike that directly copies it. First, I bought this headboard from a thrift store for about $5:

IMG_0578.jpg

Question, is it still called a headboard if it's not made out of wood?

Anyhoo, here is the bike as it stands now:

IMG_0655.jpg

Now, the problem is that it's very wobbly. I'm too scared to test ride it. I'm thinking that I'll chop the wheels off, and place them on either side of the frame instead of underneath, making it low, and very long. I think it will still be very noticeable and unique, even if it's not air feet in the air.

Re: Putting This Inspiration To Bed

Thats nuts! I love it :shock: is the fork at the back welded in?
Tall bikes are always a bit on the wobbly side ;)

Nice Build. If I can find one I'll do the same.
Add some bracing from the BB to the rear drop outs to see if that helps.
Also was wondering if the whole head board is loose on the welding and what not.

This is why I started tinkering with bikes. That is straight up legit!
Looking at the original pic it looks like shes centered over the head board. I wonder if your seat position is adding to the wobble?

Keep thinking outside the box! :p

That's great!

I think the wobble won't go away unless the whole frame is strengthened. Most headboards won't stand up to the stresses a bike will produce.

That's crazy....I like it! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sinner4 said:
...Add some bracing from the BB to the rear drop outs to see if that helps...

that's what i was thinking, should stiffen up a bit after that. Cool build, never would of imagined something like that on my own !!!

Thats awesome...I would love to see peoples faces as you ride by!
I would cut the "legs" off....bet that would stiffen it up some.

I chopped the bottom off, and reconfigured it to be a long, low bike. She's a bit difficult to steer (turning radius is about a football field), but she does ride. I've got the hammered black to paint the whole thing here soon. What do you think, better?

IMG_0804.jpg

Sweet headboard burrito!!This is crazy cool,it looks alot better like this! 8) :mrgreen:

Two thumbs up!

Any chance you have the rest of the magazine? Usually the cover picture referred to an article in the story. It would be interesting indeed to see what is inside that issue of LIFE.

Latest posts

Back