Purple Jane--20" girls BMX build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had this idea for a while to do a bike for my five year old niece. Well her birthday came and went and I'm still working on it. No matter, it's still not bike weather for her yet and she doesn't even know about the bike, no harm no foul, right? BTW, I just made up the name Jane too for the bike, it's not my nieces' name.

So I'm in to recycling if I can, picked this up off the local craigslist for $30? in January. I talked her down a bit. The lady paid $175 13 years ago! Not even a 'nice' bike mind you. I said I might need tires, etc. who cares anyway, I just didn't want to pay $50 for something I'd be putting even more money into. Anyhoo.

S5000078.jpg

S5000077-1.jpg

I had thoughts of stripping and powdercoating the frame, didn't know what color early on, didn't like the white vinyl look (too pimpy for me), I was thinking either all black components, OR chrome OR alloy, but not both or all three. I'm very picky about just sticking with two colors at most. The paint is in such good shape I just pulled the stickers off and cleaned it up. Getting that goo from the stickers off took forever! Don't tell me about goobegone, vinegar, or WD-40--I tried them all, a dry towel and elbow grease took it off. I looked at rims on ebay, etc. and wound up buying these:

S5000110-1.jpg

I got them in the mail and they were the rims alright, only the rims! No sprocket! Here's a bit of advice, don't buy anything from FUHUAsports if you can help it. That dillweed shows a crappy picture of the rims without showing the hubs visible. There is no fine print either that says, 'hey buddy, these don't come with a sprocket', it just casually mentions $x.99 extra for the sprocket with your order. Oh, you wanted to see Avatar? Fine, here's your ticket. Oh, you want to sit down, well, that's a little extra.

Anyhoo, the rims are pretty cool and I found out are cut for any bmx freewheel sprocket which just spins on. I found one at a bike shop for $10.

001.jpg

I hadn't planned on getting a rear freewheel, I was trying to keep it simple and was just going to run a coaster brake to avoid snaking the cables through the frame, etc. Long story short, I got a hub adapter for the front from Choppers?, a disk and rotor also off ebay for $20, and everything is coming together nicely for a front disk brake setup.

S5000114.jpg

I still plan to run the cable tucked away as much as I can. Quite a bit of grinding and fitting so far, looking good though.

S5000113-1.jpg

gowjobs said:
For future reference, were those wheels pre-drilled for disc installation, or did you have to drill/tap the hubs?

I just bought the hub adapter and caliper bracket from here

http://www.choppersus.com/store/categor ... -Hardware/

The rim is already threaded around the hub, 1 side in the front, 2 in the rear for the adapter, same threading as the sprocket pictured above. It just spins on.

they wanted twice as much for the rotor and caliper and they even didn't have them in stock so I got them here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _500wt_956

The cutting and fitting I've had to do so far is of the hub nuts and spacers to get the forks on. The caliper bracket I had to grind part of the tab down, too. Nothing major though.

Some more progress today. Did some touch up painting on the frame and forks of the purple paint. Drilled the front forks for the brake cable. Greased up the bearings for the forks and started assembling it. Looking good.

S5000115.jpg

Got more done yesterday, had to bend the brake handle around quite a bit for those little fingers. Got everything together and the front rim sits off to the right a little--to be expected with the disk brake assembly though. Looking good though. I powdercoated the stem and the rear reflector bracket. I also ran a grommet through the front reflector where the cable runs through. I want to get one more clamp for the cable. Ideally I was going to run the cable through the forks and frame--not enough space though without a lot of cutting. I need to finish the chain guard, getting near the end here.

S5000123.jpg

S5000125.jpg

Got one of the last few things done, the chain guard. Couldn't quite convince myself to buy some cheap-..... Chinese 'chrome' thingy that will rust out in a year or two, so I sanded painted the original one with a diamond plate aluminum strip and bracket I fabbed.

S5000126.jpg

S5000127.jpg

so are you just running a front disc brake...? If so couldn't that be a little dangerous for a young learner?

other than that, this bike is looking Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much coin did those rims set you back?

GTCOMA said:
so are you just running a front disc brake...? If so couldn't that be a little dangerous for a young learner?

other than that, this bike is looking Nice! If you don't mind me asking, how much coin did those rims set you back?

The rims were $90, a little heavier than spoke ones but it doesn't really matter on this bike. I agree about the bars, I do wish they were hanging real low, but I don't think her parents would see the beauty in it though. She isn't even off training wheels yet. I may get a saddle bag though, they were out of stock a couple of weeks ago.

I figured someone would bring up the 'one' brake thing, I had considered it too, but here goes. It originally had one brake, a coaster brake. We all know the laws of physics, hit the brakes and the weight shifts to the front (why the car's front end nosedives). Front disk brake is doing most of the work--no loss here from the original setup (maybe even a gain), not worried about it, don't like more cables, etc.

I more or less pronounce it done though. Just a couple of very minor things left, need another clamp for the cable up front and just some cleaning. Very happy with it though. I 'wish' I could ditch the chain guard and reflectors, again, not gonna happen though. I at least left the kickstand off.

S5000131.jpg

S5000130.jpg

S5000129.jpg

S5000134.jpg

cody-james said:
I don't know how this thing flew under the radar. This bike is killer.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

No one even asked about the girl with the derby hat sticker on the front forks, well...this is the sign of a no-tel motel in the Phillipines. I had my buddy make up some stickers.

Back