"Project 3" - Board Track

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished my first bike…well, not exactly true, I built a fix before this one…but this is my first old-school bike.

So now I am looking to do another. And I found a design here in the forums here that I like a lot… this one:

colors2.jpg

colors3.jpg

I bought the following bike as a starting point…

colors1.jpg

But I'm sorta on the fence about color schemes, etc. I know I want a brown Brooks saddle and brown leather grips. But nothing is really punching me in the face as far as colors go. I had one of the following three colors in mind 'cause my powder coat guy has 'em in stock (cheaper)…

colors4.jpg

I crudely mocked up some drawings using the three colors…

colors6.jpg

colors7.jpg

colors5.jpg

But then I thought about emerald green… I think it will look better with the brown leather saddle and grips…

colors12.jpg

Then wheels… black or chrome… and the front fork… powder coat or chrome… then what about a chain guard and/or a fender... whitewalls or all-black tires...

colors18.jpg

colors19.jpg

colors9.jpg

colors13.jpg

colors14.jpg

Maybe I just need to step away from the computer for a while…

If you have any ideas, I'll gladly take 'em. I think I'm just tired...reached the point of diminishing returns, if you will...

Thx for the help!

Bill

Re: Color scheme?

I vote the second from the last pic. Green bikes with leather look great. Gary

I like the orange. Where did you get the templates for customizing the bike. Looks like those came out a computer.

Well...I appreciate the input so far...I'll make some color changes on the computer...decisions decisions...

cman said:
Where did you get the templates for customizing the bike. Looks like those came out a computer.
I just Googled random things then pieced it together in a program called Fireworks (sorta like Photoshop). This link also has some pieces I used... http://www.pedalmafia.com/mafid/mafia_id.html It's more for Fixies, but it's where I got a lot of the pieces by screen capturing them and then using Fireworks to scale everything and put it together. Hope that helps...

Bill

I'd like to see it in lime with a bent springer. I laid your seat post way back too, about 1/2" from the rear fender stay. Gives you more leg room.

colors6.jpg

neon green and black everything else out(or maybe small orange accents with the green/black....yeah i know it sounds awful but it actually looks good as long as the orange is limited and subtle)

B607 said:

I would go with this one too, and do the whole(all parts)springer green too.
mmzl6t.jpg

and these would then look awesome on there;
fy01uf.jpg

or any other brown tire that matches the seat/grips.
and keep the chrome rims

badmuller said:
B607 said:

I would go with this one too, and do the whole(all parts)springer green too.
mmzl6t.jpg

and these would then look awesome on there;
fy01uf.jpg

or any other brown tire that matches the seat/grips.
and keep the chrome rims

X's 2

Try it with the red clay tires

Thanks for all of the responses and feedback.

I've mocked up a couple of your suggestions and will mock up one or two more and post them here later (on the road now...passenger seat at this second...lots more driving to go...)

I've thought about a black seat and grips, but I love the tan Brooks saddle...

I've also given thought to a pearl-white frame with green wheels...we'll see how it looks in the mock up...

Fortunately I'm more patient on this build :)

I truly appreciate all of the input...thx so much for your help!

Bill

I would add that you should run a color matched springer with chrome strut bars, spring and spring housing. Similar to how the Schwinn springers used to be.

There is always something more like this. Does your powdercoat guy have clear on hand?

IMG_8381.jpg

I've got an early Schwinn springer with the crown, main sides and hardware in matching red. The spring and housing are still chrome and the support rods are raw steel clear coated like the frame. Of course it will still have the factory chrome AS bolts. :mrgreen:

I've also got a honey brown seat and grips to go on there also.

After a lot of research and reading, I've decided to do a board track bike...and I am about 99% sure I am going to put an engine in it. I've changed the name of the this thread to reflect the direction the project has taken...and I reckon I'll keep everything in here...including asking my questions of the experienced folks...

There are a number of examples I really really like...the following are a few of 'em:

p37.jpg

p34.jpg

p35.jpg

p33.jpg

p36.jpg

And for what it's worth, I found an awesome little YouTube video (I apologize if it has already been posted)...here's the direct link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukcmg5VpAEs

But I do have two more questions...

I'm looking for some old-style tires like my buddy's dad's bike has...

p3.jpg

And I am also looking for a little more heavy-duty wheel...with 10- or 12-gauge spokes. Is there a brand or dealer you guys prefer over another for these two items?

Thanks again.

Bill

Well, after a lot of thought...and a lot of looking at a lot of bikes...I've decided to mirror a lot of what the person who built the bike above did to his. This is my mockup...

Conceptual_Drawing_boardtrack.jpg

I've got a lot of the parts...I've got a lot more to get...but at least I have a better idea of what I'm looking to buy...

Stay tuned...

Bill

Latest posts

Back