Problems with Crossbow's Monarch Springer Forks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this sucks, I was ready to order a set.........they really are cool looking but it doesnt sound like they are worth the trouble.

I look at it a different way.... you basically run into all the same issues if you try to use a vintage springer fork most bottom out and are too narrow and finding the correct steer tube length. and those can bring lots of money too but also include rust and lots of them have been bent
I have had this fork and original monarks and I have always been able to make it work

I agree with Hooch, you can make it work for you. It may sound like a PITA but that's part of the fun :wink: If you notice on my Nirve I'm even using it on a 1/1/8" headtube, required using headtube reducers. In the end my main issue was really rideability as that was my main cruiser at the time. If you're just going after a look it's still a good option.

One of the many problems these forks have is their good looks...
On many of the posts on this thread the "look" was cited as a reason for wanting them...
I fell into that trap...
WARNING...!
All that glitters is not gold...
I solved the fork crown race problem with a "coke" can shim...
I solved the axle spacing by switching the dropout plates to the outside...
I solved the 'lock-nut in the spokes problem' by shortening the shouldered bolts and using two thinner nuts on each bolt to lock them up...
I solved the dropout gap with a file (filing off the chrome in the process)...

My other gripes are:
The finish is poor. Pitting in the paint and chrome...
One of the brace forks was twisted out of line and I had the devil of a job to get it (sort of) straight....!
They're not very springy at all...
After shipping and import duty they were very expensive to get into the U.K....
I could have bought 3 or 4 sets of springer forks for the same price...

But....
After all I've said, I still think they're pretty forks....
Would I buy another set...?
No.

I ran into a lot of the same issues but something about these forks I found odd. most older stems are 21.1 and the tube for this took a 22.2 stem out of the box? most of the cool 7/8" (handlebar) BMX stems I like using are 21.1 and I had to get a tioga BMX headset nut to take up the difference. for all the "vintage" fit issues I thought this was an anomaly.

my "springer" post
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8236

had to find a hub that was 80MM OLD, flipping the plates to the outsude still didn't get me the 105MM OLD I would have needed. found a bottom race that was real close but the coke can shim sounds like a good idea. I had a layer of friction tape but that is not going to last the way I ride... I did buy the longer one so it fit the schwinn but barely. had to get creative to get a 5/16" axle on it. also no matter how I tried the forks were just a bit off center. my best springer fork purchase by far was the western flyer springer fork. no issues whatsoever.

Back