Problem with Hair Pin Seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these repo hair pin seats that you get from u.s. cycles ( not bad mouthing them by the way :D ). I am having trouble getting it to stay level. I tighten the bolt where the post mounts under the seat and I still cannot get the seat to stay level or at least where I want it. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or what to do about it. Thanks.

I know exactly what you're saying. Had one about 5 years ago. I got tired of it moving around...Tac welded, no more moving.

for some reason I put in another post holder in mine. don't remember why. old age ya know.lol.
but anyways I don't have any problem with it. ya might try that.

Outlaw

I thought about that Kota but I hate to weld on it first try. I didn't think about that Outlaw I'll try that next time.

Are these the RBR seats? If so how are they? I mean other than the post holder obviously :wink:

Been looking at that small sprung saddle for a while now and the price is so .... low I fear I might get cooties from it or something.

The biggest thing is making sure the notches are the same size. I find it hard mixing post clamp parts. I have a few that always move. Try shimming the seatpost by adding some cut up aluminum can to increase the size.

cman said:
The biggest thing is making sure the notches are the same size. I find it hard mixing post clamp parts. I have a few that always move. Try shimming the seatpost by adding some cut up aluminum can to increase the size.

ya the notch size is usually where I run into probs, you can drill from one side to the other and pin it....

I have to tighten the crap out of mine on the lucky 7 CWC seat post,

Go slow and test often because you can twist off the seat bolt if you go to far.

My repop is very comfortable, but I guess the Fat Franks and the CWC springer help alot! :D

Yeah its an RBR seat. Its somewhat comfortable until it moves and the boys get the brunt of that front spring :shock:. I have tried swapping the plates around but its not any better. I also tried another seat post clamp and it does the same. Looks like I'm gonna have to add a bolt somewhere or weld it. :roll:

either find a seat post that has alittle bigger post for the seat or wrap a shim around it and see if that works.

Outlaw

I have 2 of them, mine moved once and I know exactly what your saying about the boys meetin that front spring :roll: :cry: lol I just tighten the crap out of themmake sure you tighten both sides of the clamp bolt. I swap them around from bike to bike now and then and dont have any problems.

Ty

Mine is an old one of unknown origin, the leather embossing of the manufacturer is unreadable. My suggestion is move the clamp back as far as possible in the seat frame and use a grade 8 bolt.
heres mine on the Beerbike
artotbike08004.jpg

It was suggested here once before that the notches slip, so use a hammer and chisel to make the notches better. I was wondering if adding a star washer on both sides between the notched surfaces would stop the slipping.

same problem, messed with making the grooves deeper for a while and still had the problem of it slipping. I gave in and welded it. no more slippage.

the RBR seats are decent for the price, the leather looks plastic when new but should break in nice

Alright Ill try moving it back first, if that doesn't work then I'll try the chisel trick. I agree with the thought of the grooves not being deep enough.

this is ridiculous. I welded the clamp that came with it solid because it stripped out right away, and the clamp has bent and I keep having to tighten it to the point of crushing my seat post. I bought a brooks clamp that seems of a higher quality, tightened the bejesus out of it, and it stripped as soon as I sat on it. I'm not that fat, I swear! I bought a layback seat post so the brooks clamp will get welded at the appropriate angle for that when it shows up.

I did figure out that the tension on the saddle was low as shipped on the rbr, and by adjusting the front part out and increasing the tension it's much more comfortable. I cut the heck out of a finger on one of the brads underneath the seat, one of the brads has half-broken, the seat looks like the frame is bent or something as it's asymmetrical, but it could be the saddle is off a little as well. All in all, it looks ok if not kind of plastic-y and once tensioned is super comfortable. I just wish someone made a better clamp.

Back