primer and paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going to be painting my 59 Schwinn soon and needed some advice. i am going to sandblast, or use a palm sander to get the rust and original paint off, but after that i need to know what primer to use. i was going to use the sublime green roth rattle bomb paint, and i needed to know if i should use the same color primer, or something else. i also need to know what clear coat i should use since im using a green base, green metal flake, and also a green kandie.

Use the same paint brand

Primer
Color
Clearcoat

Sometimes mixed paint brands dont work well together.

I like RUSTOLEUM.

MagicRat said:
Use the same paint brand

Primer
Color
Clearcoat

I like RUSTOLEUM.
i concur, i used on brand of primer and tried 2 different paints and got the same results, cracking, and runs. then got the same brands of primer and paint and the finish was good.

Ahab said:
MagicRat said:
Use the same paint brand

Primer
Color
Clearcoat

I like RUSTOLEUM.
i concur, i used on brand of primer and tried 2 different paints and got the same results, cracking, and runs. then got the same brands of primer and paint and the finish was good.
sounds good, but the type of flake i am using says specially not to use rustoleum, something about the oil in the paint.

Use the same brand as the "flake".

Do I have to hold your hand?

HEH! (only fuggin' with ya)

so im assumeing u r using real paint that u mix ok get a urithane clear you will be fine just make sure its not cold including the metal and NOOOOOO ENAMALS the solvent based paint n clear will make it lift causein a wrinkle look to it not good well ive been doin paint for 20 yrs contact me for any info n what brands u r using good luck n take ur time let paint flash off when it looks flat n 10 15 mins between clear coats

jalopyjimmy13 said:
so im assumeing u r using real paint that u mix ok get a urithane clear you will be fine just make sure its not cold including the metal and NOOOOOO ENAMALS the solvent based paint n clear will make it lift causein a wrinkle look to it not good well ive been doin paint for 20 yrs contact me for any info n what brands u r using good luck n take ur time let paint flash off when it looks flat n 10 15 mins between clear coats
no i am using this stuff called roth rattle bomb paint, basically higher quality spray paint. i was a little weary about the stuff until i saw a demo online and heard the positive reviews of the stuff.

ZombieZach said:
[but the type of flake i am using says specially not to use rustoleum, something about the oil in the paint.

Rustoleum paint has fish oil in it. It never completely dries out, which is why it lasts so long and gives such good rust protection. The fish oil makes it difficult or impossible to use with any other brand of paint.
Gary

Did anybody else ever break open an empty Rustoleum spray bomb?

There are glass marbles in there.

I got a jar full of them.

On the back of some of those rattle cans at the bottom in real small letters reads BALL

Im quessing thats the Mason Jar company.

I got many different blues/hues in my collection,Clear,Light Blue etc ...Cobalt Blue are my Favorite!

jalopyjimmy13 said:
what clear u got goin on look at eastwood.com or even napa auto
parts
one of the clears they have on the site with the paint. might try out there pinstripe paint to.

yes self etching primer is for direct to metal not really nessesary here but its good cuz ur on a low budget just use a filler primer wet sand with 600 good n paint her up

Back