prewar schwinn badged as century? is it legit?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
ok while combing my local Craigslist i came across a project bike that has potential imo to be a sweet ride.
the guy isn't to far off base if it is in fact a Schwinn. even in it's current condition i would drop the 400 asking price without question.
but a few warning flags fly up with it.
first being the badge he states says century which tells me im missing something as i never heard of that brand.
he states it is a Schwinn so i am giving him the benefit of the doubt.
the second is he states the springer he is uncertain if it is original.
the third he says the crank hits the frame.
so my questions are these?
1 was there ever a Schwinn badged as a century
2 is the springer original or just a cool add on.
3 is that dogleg crank expensive to fix and is there more damage i should look for.
and finally the last question is 400 a good price.
the serial is p1951 but due to Schwinn losing their numbers before 1948 i cannot verify this
i could not find the serial in the Schwinn databases i know of.

the pics speak for it so any info would be appreciated.
thanks
Sean
the link to the ad
http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/4448987388.html

No doubt it's a prewar Schwinn frame. The frame came off of a "B" model bike, which would have been a deluxe bike. You can tell by the 3 color paint job. I can't remember seeing a Century Scwinn badge but it would not surprise me if it's the original Schwinn made badge. The springer is off of another bike, a '41 Schwinn. One yr. only springer. You can tell by the rake of the upper legs, and the fact is fits a prewar frame. Not original but the correct springer for that frame. The chain ring and crank aren't Schwinn. I would pay $100 for the frame and $100 for the springer. Torrington cross braced bars, another $50. $250 would be my top dollar. Gary

That Century badge is indeed one that Schwinn used. I wouldn't worry about the crank, chances are it's just poorly adjusted or somebody forgot a washer last time it was greased.

The springer was first available in 1939, but this frame never would have had a one because it's earlier than that; '36-38 on the frame I believe. I don't think it was one of the top models that he suggests either; Motorbike and Autocycle both had curved downtubes.

I agree with Gary about the 250$ price. Too much is wrong and not enough is there to justify 400$.

I have what I believe is a 1939 BC 117 Standard that is badged as a Century. Serial B 64468.

I don't think it was one of the top models that he suggests either; Motorbike and Autocycle both had curved downtubes.

Jpromo is right. It's the post war Schwinn's with 3 colors that were the deluxe bikes. My catalogs show many prewar frames had 3 colors, even if they weren't deluxe. They cheaped out after the war! Gary

thanks guys for the info
sadly i have to pass on this one the guy won't budge on the price
i even went as far as offering 350
he wouldn't move
sean

I wouldn't feel like you missed an opportunity; to me 350-400$ can get you a prewar Schwinn with original frame, fork, and fenders. This is way too cobbled to bring 400$.

Back