Prewar Savage - Tank & rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stacy's Savage

thats looking pretty slick bud! i dont know why they don't put those adjustment screws for the rear wheel on more bikes...

lookin good! hey jen you're back! 8)

Does anyone know what bike this stem originally came on? Its really a nice piece!! I polished it up along with the handle bars and they look great together...
neck817a.jpg

One rim is at College Cyclery getting laced at the moment. Man, by the time you buy a good old rebuilt set of hubs, prep & paint the rims, buy good tires & spokes, and have them laced up.....your into those suckers for a good amount :shock: I'm just sayin :D, but its all worth it to me cus its for my lady!! Besides, its more fun to build things than it is to guy buy something already finished.

Well here is the rear wheel completed. Man the dove gray looks so nice next to the white tire. I had to wait on the front rim. Bought it from forum member "npence" - thanks Nate! I'll be blasting that front rim tomorrow and having it painted. :D
IMG_7110R.jpg

IMG_7112R.jpg

IMG_7106R.jpg

IMG_7105R.jpg

This little NOS beauty showed up at my front door today. Its not as old as the bike itself, but it will fit nicely i think. I'm guessing its a 60's-70's unit since it says "made in Japan" on the bottom...
IMG_7107R.jpg

IMG_7108R.jpg

IMG_7109R.jpg

I've also acquired this beautifully perfect Higgins chain guard and a Monark Super Deluxe rear fender reflector. The aluminum housing is in rough shape, but should polish up nicely!!
IMG_7099R.jpg

IMG_7100R.jpg

Heres the seat all ready to have the leather stretched over the pan. :p
IMG_7101R.jpg

Gonna see if I can get her bike all back together tomorrow. I'll have to use a donor front rim in the mean time...

davy B said:
im very jealous of that lamp, i got one of those exact ones at a garage sale but its missing the badge, glass piece and has a bunch of dents, im liking this build so far, it something i have always wanted to do for my GF
Thank you! Yea, I'm having a blast building this for my lady. I've put my other bike projects aside so I can concentrate on this one for her.

The only thing thats missing with this light is the arm to mount it with. Luckily I have another set of forks coming that has a built in headlight mount. I cant wait to get them painted up and mount that light!! :D

I spent yesterday assembling this thing. It fought me every step of the way. The headset was a pain cus the threads were all jacked up. Had to work the nut up and down the fork with some PB Blaster to clean up the threads. Then when I assembled it, there was a large space between the nut and dust cap... hmmm. Well I don't have the truss rods or mount, which I think would have taken up that space. Made a spacer out of some thick pipe, about 3/16" thick. Then once it was all together, I see that the fork is still bent!!! I was afraid of that... I took a chance and had them straightened before paint (they were bent real bad). Well I didnt bother to mock them up before paint... Luckily, I have another set of forks coming soon that the seller says are perfectly straight. Then when I mounted the front fender, the tire rubbed and the fender braces were too long. I'm hoping that because the fork is bent, that may have caused the fender to not fit right. So I left the front fender off until I get the new fork painted up and mounted.

You can see the spacer here:
IMG_7117R.jpg

You think its bent :?: :roll:
IMG_7120R.jpg

The bottom bracket fought me the same as the headset did. The fresh chromed dog leg crank appeared to have nice threads, but I had to put them into the vise and work the threads ever so slowly with lots of PB blaster. I'm always scared to clean up threads with something other than an actual thread chaser. Cross threads are no bueno!!!!
Since my chain guard came in after the bike was painted, it had to be fitted with fresh paint on the frame :shock: nerve racking. The guard had to be shortened about 1.5" and clearanced around the rear fender. The mounting bracket made the guard stick out way to much also. I had to cut the bracket off and reweld it to get the guard to tuck up nicely and clear the crank. It came out nice, just needs blasted and painted. I'll wait until the new fork comes in and paint both together. If I can find a cool rear rack by then, I'll paint it too. :D
IMG_7118R.jpg

IMG_7119R.jpg

IMG_7113r.jpg

IMG_7123R.jpg

IMG_7125R.jpg

IMG_7126R.jpg

The only spoon I could find with some sort of stars on it..
IMG_7124R.jpg

here is where I left it... Still need to cover the seat, polish handle bars, polish and fit the Monark rear reflector. And of course paint the chain guard new fork when it comes in. Oh, and that front rim is just for mock up... The other DDC rim need painted and laced still as well. Hope everyone likes this bike so far. :p
IMG_7121R.jpg

IMG_7127R.jpg

IMG_7128R.jpg

IMG_7129R.jpg

Cool before and after pics..
IMG_3262R.jpg

IMG_7116R.jpg

Re: Stacy's Savage (update 7/12)

The big brown truck brought me a nice present!! This thing is so perfect. Absolutely straight, and it came with the headset which I wasn't expecting - BONUS! I love the built in headlight mount. This bike is a 1940 model... I'm gonna guess that this fork with the headlight mount came sometime in the 50's, but who knows. If there's any experts on this fork out there, please chime in with some cool info.
IMG_7130R.jpg

IMG_7131R.jpg

IMG_7132R.jpg

I just couldn't wait to mount that headlight and see how cool it looks in its new home :D
IMG_7133R.jpg

Back