Prepping for race

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not of real value, but I wanted to share with you guys that I'm prepping for an Alley Cat race this summer. I don't intend to win it since the record is 16 minutes for the run that is 11.5 km long thru traffic in broad daylight, but I wish to do it in 30 minutes. The Raleigh is in the workstand right now down to the frame in preparation for this. Next will be prepping me! That's the hard part :? Any tips?

IMG_0518.jpg

Eat a lot of beans, the night before. Should cut your time down to 28 minutes.

I rode in my first alley cat last summer at night in downtown Detroit. It was lots of fun but, I think I would have done better if I had taken a little time to think about my route. I ended up missing stops and going in the wrong direction at one point. Best of luck to you and most of all just have fun.

Thanks man. I'm actually doing some planning to have the best chances on my side. I need to time the lights, plan a bypass of certain dangerous areas, look out for cops, etc... Preparation involves 3 things, the bike, me and the course. My main goal is to have fun since plans usually go out the window fast while in the heat of battle, but they are a lot of fun to put together and ultimately end up as guides more than anything else.

if you were going for speed, only thing i would suggest is skinnier tires, i know it helps me anyway, especially taking off for some reason.

I know it's slightly (ok, really) off topic, but how do you like having that sprung seat on your single speed? Do you feel it moves too much when pedaling? Im considering one for my own.

CCR I'm planning on replacing those 26X1.5 to high pressure 26X1.25. Randy, thanks and yes I will. Speed, that's a Brooks B66 that came original with the bike in 1956-58. It's the best and most comfortable saddle I have ever owned.

hey gerry! can you tell me more about what an "alley cat" race is? my buddy and i are trying to plan some sort of a race for this spring and are looking for ideas. thanks man!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
hey gerry! can you tell me more about what an "alley cat" race is? my buddy and i are trying to plan some sort of a race for this spring and are looking for ideas. thanks man!

Easy E

Easy there are several good videos of these races out there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrL6QZPHjY

I don't know what the final weight will be, but it won't be light. I'm keeping those steel cranks because I just love those cranes in the chainring. Besides, I wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't have some style, I chose this bike because I love it. It is a totally wrong choice logically, but it is the "rat" choice. :mrgreen: Don't worry mrbill, I've planned a detour to avoid the only section of the course with a high concentration of pedestrian traffic, cars don't have to worry about me.

well hats off and good luck Gerry !!!

i dont think bike weight will matter all that much in city traffic (as long as the motor is running in good shape :wink: )

i dont think i could do 7 miles in 16 minutes !!! but 30 sounds doable if it was me.

if its freezing out, i would definately were something over your face so the cold air doesnt get to you, its harsh on me, my lungs hate it. i do a couple hard rides to see how insulated you need to be

Advice? Wear as much padding/protective gear as you can comfortably can, you know what happens when you go play in the traffic, right?
Of course, I say this after watching that nyc video, but if you're racing in Montreal, I've driven in that traffic (around the olympic stadium) pretty intense to be racing thru!!
Be safe Gerry,
Rcik

My only advice is... don't be stupid in traffic and have fun regardless of where you finish. I've seen quite a few people get tagged in traffic during alleycats, I've also seen the people racing against them leave em in the road after having witnessed the entire incident.

Wow, thanks for the great support guys. The race is in Montreal in late Spring, so weather, unless wet, will not be a real problem. I've been riding in downtown traffic more than a few times and I am very aware of the pitfalls (Going thru an intersection full of pedestrians at 40km/h while making a 90 degree turn that almost ended in a car door on my recumbent comes to mind.). At 43, you are very conscious that being hit by a car is not that cool. I intend to make up the time difference for my lack of temerity with speed. I'll be doing a few dry runs as soon as weather permits and a few practice runs. I will also leaves some markers on the course to be able to gauge my progress, timing lights and find a spotter for traffic and cops at a few strategic places. You get wiser with age, so planning is a big part of it. :D

Latest posts

Back