Pre War Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a skip link Schwinn 20" bicycle & training wheels. Does anyone know what year it is? Serial # is on the left rear D09867. Thanks for any info.
008_zps89d98421.jpg
007_zps5f25dfea.jpg
006_zps23d06b85.jpg
011_zps05a0f1a9.jpg
015_zps05c558c5.jpg

Pre Vietnam War. Looks like a 1950 if I'm not mistaken.

I thought that skip link bikes were before the war. When did they sotp using skip link chains?

extraplay said:
I thought that skip link bikes were before the war. When did they sotp using skip link chains?

They used skip tooth drivetrains well into the '50s. If it were a prewar Schwinn it would have rear facing dropouts and the kickstand wouldn't be welded on.

I think the last year they made skiptooth is 58.

if you really want to tell if its prewar look at the dropouts (where the rear axle is held) if it goes strait out its prewar 90% of the time.
if its a curved hook dropout its postwar (after the war)

Nick.

extraplay said:
Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn about these bikes. Thanks again.

Nickinator said:
I think the last year they made skiptooth is 58.

if you really want to tell if its prewar look at the dropouts (where the rear axle is held) if it goes strait out its prewar 90% of the time.
if its a curved hook dropout its postwar (after the war)

Nick.

extraplay said:
Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn about these bikes. Thanks again.
I believe this is the difference Nickinator is describing. Correct me if im wrong. Hope this helps :mrgreen:
473_zpsd25dd459.jpg

DSCF1626.jpg

008_zps89d98421.jpg

It starts with a D, so it's a 52, 53, or 57. The cranks may have a 2 digit stamp in the center that will narrow it down. You'll have to pull them off to see it.

Back