Pre war Schwinn re re re rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
did I stutter... Hey all haven't been in the bike scene for quite a while
but after catchin up with the forrum this past week checkin all the cool
ride , I think I got the bug back so....
I have this old bike laying around awaiting some Love , I have really
never tried to figure out what it realy is but I was told it was a '39
Motorbike by the old guy I got it from,,tried to sell it this Summer but
the only interest I had was scammers or people with no money :lol:
This will be my Winter project, will see what direction it takes
100_1211.jpg

Whats up Mark ! cant wait to see which direction you go with this one ...

Ralph

Started lookin the frame over again today as I remember a little dammage here and there but I think
I can get it straightened out...the dropouts were bent that was easy enough to fix and the rear fender
mounts could use some help if I decide to even use one.
100_1213.jpg

anyone know when they started useing "The World" head badges...I guess since its now a project I might
as well try to figure out what this bike is, does look like it may have had a tank at some point.
100_1212.jpg

started digging the piles for parts and though I thought I had an older one all I could find was this Sturmy
front drum brake, needs a couple repairs and a good clean and regrease but looks great inside .
100_1212.jpg

see what else I can dig up.
Mark

The fender mounts were always the first place to start rusting but the good news is that rust had to work pretty hard to get inside the main chainstay tubes. Cut that peice out and braze in a piece of tubing and you are good to go. If you can't do it yourself any decent welder with a gas setup and a brass brazing rod should be able to do it for you. Then all you have to do is file and sand that brass smooth and it will look good as new when you paint it.
IMG_8098.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

I supose I would repair those mounts if I was doing a restoration but since I'm not I'll leave them for character.
I did just a little cleaning on the frame and went and dug through the cool parts pile, found a few things I needed !
seems the right button on my mouse gave up the ghost so I have to deal with that before I can add pics.

Its fun to build something since you have the parts anyway. Hard to stop messing
with bikes forever. They are like magnets and keep pulling you back. :lol:

Yep bicycles are like a vortex...suck ya right in :lol:
My cool parts pile
koolparts.jpg

dug this stuff out of it
partspile.jpg

I had a 28 hole komet super hub on the shelf along with some 24x3 and 24x2.125 white walls
so I laced it to a rim from the pile..... If I wasn't a poor guy right now I would never mess with
those old rims but I guess It keeps me in practice trueing up rims.
komethub.jpg

fatti-o.jpg

I mixed and matched parts from a few springers and started tossin parts at it, this is it so far.
wheelson.jpg

As you can see it did not take the klunker direction more a 40s vibe going on.
more later
Mark

Schwinnspastic said:
I supose I would repair those mounts if I was doing a restoration but since I'm not I'll leave them for character.
I did just a little cleaning on the frame and went and dug through the cool parts pile, found a few things I needed !
seems the right button on my mouse gave up the ghost so I have to deal with that before I can add pics.
Oh yeah, if you are just getting the bike rideable again then the patina route is the way to go for sure. Old bikes should look old. That Elgin I am building is intended for off road use so I need it strong. That frame you have will be plenty strong.

On the road for the first time in forty years ! :mrgreen: I tossed enough parts at it so could take it for a 5 mile spin around town...
was tough on my knees with the gearing or maybe it was the combined weight but I sure felt old by the time I got home so I either
have to change the gear or put on a motor to help with the hills . So here is what it is so far...
ONTHEBRIDGE.jpg

SNOWBIKE.jpg

CRUSTYFRONT-2.jpg

not sure if it will stay like this but I just had to ride it 8)
Mark

Back