Pre War Schwinn DX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Picked this up from AS bolt, Just cleaned it up and put it together. Still need to put tires on it and a chain. I cleaned/overhauled the hubs, might eventually rebuild the wheels. Rebuilding and truing wheels is just something I have not mastered yet. I also have a tank to put on, put I need to paint it. You guys think it will look ok to have a freshly painted tank with a worn original painted bike? I have a pretty sweet kick stand I'm going to put on it too. What tires would you guys go with White wall or all crème?

Also I'm looking for fenders, chainguard and a head badge for this bad boy! Let me know if ya have either, if you wanna sell. Thanks

Last edited:
Just my opinion but I would not put a tank on it. The tank would probably hide some of those beautiful, and original looking, red to white paint transitions. But I'm sure I will be in the minority on the no tank.
Yeah I do agree with ya, maybe I'll leave it. If I had an original paint tank that matched the bike then it I wouldn't even question it. I'll probably mock it up prior to any paint and see how it looks. Does any one know what chain guard was original to this bike?

Just my opinion but I would not put a tank on it. The tank would probably hide some of those beautiful, and original looking, red to white paint transitions. But I'm sure I will be in the minority on the no tank.
I second that opinion.. If it was a full dresser bike then I could see that but its not in this case.. Those line in that frame are just awesome..

Well so far you're not in the minority opinion. Nix the tank idea, seems to be the majority opinion!
I might be up for a very fine wet sand and re clear coat though... just to help preserve the OG graphics for a bit longer.

Well so far you're not in the minority opinion. Nix the tank idea, seems to be the majority opinion!
I might be up for a very fine wet sand and re clear coat though... just to help preserve the OG graphics for a bit longer.
Use CLR with warm water and a red scuff pad and clear after its nice and dry.. Brings out the color and saves the patina look.. I've done it and looks awesome..

I've cleaned it up with soap and water using a scrub pad. Then I wiped it down with boiled linseed oil. I've heard that works good and used that method on a couple other bikes. Seems to work well.

It's seems everyone agrees, no tank haha. I'm going to go that route. So I added a chain guard and kick stand today. Just need pick up some tires and tubes and this bad boy will be ready to ride. Might ride this one at tour de fat!

Well it's not that anyone is anti-tank, it just seems a shame to cover up any of that transitional graphic. Seen that other Schwinn graphic all over the place, just don't see that feather graphic all that much! I'd say yea to a tank if you found one with the same corresponding graphic but not just for the sake of putting a tank on it... Start shopping!;)

Nice ! , if you put a chainguard on it , it would take the standard "feather" type , as for a headbadge Schwinn sold DX models to a lot of hardware & department stores , I've seen BF Goodrich , Packard , Admiral , etc. , I have a prewar DX badged as a "Royal" , mine is in rough shape and has been repainted so I'm looking for a tank for mine , let me know if you want to sell your tank

Im workin a deal with herman for a badge that will work on this one and might try to find some fenders that will match but that will probably be a challenge

Back