Powder Coating Opinion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple question post.
1) What is you experience with powder coating.....Like/Dislike....is it more durable than paint?

2) On old bike how well does Powder Coating fill in small rust pits(after having bike stripped small pits appear)?

3) Your opinion- If chrome is bad on handlebars powder coat or re chrome...I know it's your opinion.

4) Hubs- front one had chrome peeling and rust spot....rear hub good shape.....strip and powder coat front hub and leave rear hub chrome? explain..

I have done my own powder coating for years. Durablilty on most powders is much better than paint, however if you plan on changing the color in the future, powder coat is difficult to remove. It is a good primer for most paints though. The key to a good PC job is in the prep work. That's why most coaters will want to sandblast & coat your bike/parts themselves. Just my 2 cents worth.

I have done my own powder coating for years. Durablilty on most powders is much better than paint, however if you plan on changing the color in the future, powder coat is difficult to remove. It is a good primer for most paints though. The key to a good PC job is in the prep work. That's why most coaters will want to sandblast & coat your bike/parts themselves. Just my 2 cents worth.

Pick,
What system do you use for powder coating? I have been looking into the Hot Coat system that Eastwood sells, do you have any experience with it?

Thanks ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the powder coating process won't hide big pitting. You'd have to get an aluminum filler to fill the pits. All metal isn't a good one. The UPol version works well but pricey. I'm thinking leading would work as well. Talk to your powder coater about that.

Read this I found on Eastwood's site I.R.T. filling in pits before powder coating. It may help in your decision.
http://forum.eastwood.com/showthrea...dercoating&s=e5363e6909717dab1ec324099e95ed16

Also, Yes powder coating is way more durable than paint. Worth the money spent. Some shops may do the repair to the frame for an added cost. The more prep you do will cut that cost. I was quoted $200 for my stingray fastback frame but since I stripped ALL of the paint off and they only had to lightly blast the frame they did not charge for that. That cut the price for a 2 stage powder coat to $150.

Last edited:
If I had the room for a powder coat set up (Nice garage area to spray, oven, etc.), I don't think I'd ever paint a frame again. So much more durable than paint and the color selection is almost unlimited these days...

Pick,
What system do you use for powder coating? I have been looking into the Hot Coat system that Eastwood sells, do you have any experience with it?

Thanks ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used Eastwood. & also hot coat brand guns. Both are good. & actually I can't tell the difference in performance. A dual voltage gun is what I have now. I use the high setting for most but reduce the voltage when I have a problem with the faraday (sp) effect which is usually in tight spots where the charges interfere with each other causing the powder not to stick.

I get most of my powder from "powder buy the pound" reasonable pricing & fast shipping.

Sorry for such a long winded reply!

1+ on Picks post. I like it I've done a bunch of small parts and 3 full frames my self in pretty minimal space. Initial start up cost was minimal less than $100 for HF gun and toaster oven from goodwill. To do the frames that had more complex tube areas like a schwinn canti frame I had to step up to a better gun and build an oven that fit a frame. I really like the finish it's quick and very sturdy and a bike takes less than 1/2 pound of powder which has for me ranged from $6 to $15 a pound . Here is a link to my setup.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/home-powder-coat-trial.73271/

Back