Post-Apocalyptic Columbia

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: This build is intended for the Vintage Bikes WBO, right? So how many modern components am I allowed? What's the bottom line? Frame and fork?

Question: This build is intended for the Vintage Bikes WBO, right? So how many modern components am I allowed? What's the bottom line? Frame and fork?

Good question :39:

I thought it was just the frame... vintage frame as the starting point.

Glen.

You are fine with the loose rules. Just build something cool with it. The Vintage rule is just there for the starting point as far as I can read.

Consider this a "still alive and well" bump.

Waiting for parts to come in. I've got a few. I've decided to go with Sturmey-Archer hubs, in particular the XL-FDD, which is a dynamo hub with a 90mm internal drum brake, and the RXL-RD5 five-speed rear with internal drum brake. After all, a post-apocalyptic bike should have gears and lights, right? Just got in some nice fat Maxxis Holy Roller tires today. This'll be kinda sweet!

Finally got a few minutes to work on this. Stripped all down. Naked as a purple jaybird.

Oh! What have we here? A wee crack-a-lack-a?

I'll throw some paint stripper on it and find out just how bad it is. Funny this should pop up. I'm running off today to get my o2 and acetylene tanks filled, lol.

Oh! What have we here? A wee crack-a-lack-a?

I'll throw some paint stripper on it and find out just how bad it is. Funny this should pop up. I'm running off today to get my o2 and acetylene tanks filled, lol.

Good to find and fix cracks like that as you build it up stronger and better than ever. [emoji106][emoji605].

I might not have broken that old Double bar frame last fall, if I had removed the crust around the joints and found the crack and fixed it. Instead of having it break on a ride...

Good to find and fix cracks like that as you build it up stronger and better than ever. [emoji106][emoji605].

I might not have broken that old Double bar frame last fall, if I had removed the crust around the joints and found the crack and fixed it. Instead of having it break on a ride...

If I had the time, I would add new bronze and reshape all the joints. I'd like to make this the last Columbia I ever build. Their quality sucks sooooo bad! This is a 1947 klunker that I built over on Bike Forums Beach Cruisers section. Took me forever to get the quality put back into that frame. They look good, but looks can be deceiving. Its much better like this, anyway.

Its been hectic. I've had some surgery on my back of which I've been in recovery mode. That laid me up for a couple days. Then when I was able to get around, I had to put out the fires that sparked up while I was down. Sheesh! No time for play!

Anyway, I finally managed to get into the shop today for a couple things. I stripped off that area, and took a good hard look at it. Yep its cracked alrighty. I can barely hold down my gorge when I see the shoddy workmanship like this. Unbelievable. To think that a bike any bike made anywhere today is made better than this just turns my guts. [/rant]

Here's the flip side.

Thursday is supposed to be warmer, and I'll try to get back on this. It feels like my progress on this build is just crawling along compared to some of you. One thing that I refuse to do is to compromise quality and innovation for the sake of a deadline.

Its been hectic. I've had some surgery on my back of which I've been in recovery mode. That laid me up for a couple days. Then when I was able to get around, I had to put out the fires that sparked up while I was down. Sheesh! No time for play!

Anyway, I finally managed to get into the shop today for a couple things. I stripped off that area, and took a good hard look at it. Yep its cracked alrighty. I can barely hold down my gorge when I see the shoddy workmanship like this. Unbelievable. To think that a bike any bike made anywhere today is made better than this just turns my guts. [/rant]

Here's the flip side.

Thursday is supposed to be warmer, and I'll try to get back on this. It feels like my progress on this build is just crawling along compared to some of you. One thing that I refuse to do is to compromise quality and innovation for the sake of a deadline.
My phone is still shattered from slag. Are you talking about the small crack in the brass? I am so used to frames falling apart in my hands I might have missed that one. Easy fix man. The frames, I swear they built them on tiers. Top tier had better steel even. I have had a few of the later than post war that were filled with lead. The early ones always refinish nicely if I am not finding them in excellent condition

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

My phone is still shattered from slag. Are you talking about the small crack in the brass? I am so used to frames falling apart in my hands I might have missed that one. Easy fix man. The frames, I swear they built them on tiers. Top tier had better steel even. I have had a few of the later than post war that were filled with lead. The early ones always refinish nicely if I am not finding them in excellent condition

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Yeah its that small crack. I know its there, so its gotta go!

I'd have it done by now, but we're having a new kitchen installed and Da Wife is on my ... about getting some stuff done. No time for (bike) love.

Just a word to say that I withdrew this bike from the WBO, but asked to have the thread moved here. There's no way that I can do any thoughtful work to this right now, but its still going to happen... just not for a couple more weeks at least!

Latest posts

Back