Possible Schwinn Tandem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help in identifying this bike. The hand grips say Schwinn but the front plate is missing. Serial number is H28027.

Artifacts007.jpg

Artifacts006.jpg

Artifacts008.jpg

Thank you for all your help.

Nick

Another note is that the stamp for the code is irregular and large letters. When using the pre-war ID facts it seems to be from 1937. I will try and post a picture of the number tonight.

Nick

Serial number is posted above the picture and cannot be found in the Schwinn list. The number was found under the bottom bracket.

not a Schwinn !, but a nice custom built tamden they did use 50th frames. that makes it a verry cool ride get it redone again and ride it :D

Okay, here is a picture of the bottom bracket with serial number. Please note that no serial number exists on the front bottom bracket. The serial number is only on the rear. I have seen one other bicycle similar to this tandem that was being called a Schwinn but one the two supporting posts in center of rear frame bars was in a different location.

Lori.jpg

Picture of rear handle bar post coming soon.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Nick

Also, this number does not fit a 1950's Schwinn as it is missing one numeral in the sequence. The 50's Schwinn's are six numbers not five.

Nick

Okay, here is are pictures of how the rear stem/handle bars attach. Definitely look like after market welds although they did do a fine job.

Lori122.jpg

Lori124.jpg

Lori125.jpg

The above picture shows the two support bars on the frame that are in a different location on the other bike that I have seen like this.

Lori123.jpg

Nick

It looks like they used a women's bike and bent the top tube down slightly so it would match up to the front frame, then added the bottom bar. Whoever made it took their time and did it right, I would bet it rides nice and straight. I noticed the pedals aren't lined up, I would make sure the sprockets are the same, 44 teeth on both front and rear, with 52 teeth on the drive sprocket. It might just be out of sync. The bike is definately worth fixing up or ratting out.

Thank you to everyone who posted on this bike. I am new to this and have learned a tremendous amount of information by posting this here. I will let the owner know of all your thoughts and we will see what he chooses to do with the bike.

Best regards,
Nick

Thats a sweet bike, none the less. Id love to find an old tandem like that. The only tandems around here are 60's and 70's schwinns and columbias. :(

Latest posts

Back