Popping tires, Inner tube size??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to pump my tires up to maximum psi (60 psi max printed on the tire) for least amount of rolling resistance and I want the least risk of popping the inner tube (which has happened).

Would it be best to use an inner tube size slightly larger tube (1.90-2.35 or 2.00-2.50 tube size in a 26.125 tire) to have the least pressure on the tube? Since it would not be inflated to it's fullest size maybe it would have the least chance of popping. Or is it best to use the smallest tube that would fit the tire (1.75-2.125 tube in a 2.125 tire)?

Undersized tubes can be over-stretched. Oversize tubes (A definite no-no in the motorized world) can wrinkle and get pinched. From the choices you mentioned, I'd pick the 1.95-2.3" for a 2.125", just 'cause it's smack dab in the middle of it's useful range. It's possible the 2.00-2.5 might fare better, as long as your 2.125" is true to size. :| Inflation popping is most often the result of the tube being twisted or folded, or between the rim and the bead of the tire, a shifted or worn rim strip, stem not aligned well with hole, or foreign matter between the tube and rim or tire. One thing that can happen with balloons in particular is that the bead can slip past the rim edge while the pressure is low. I like to inflate them 15lbs. or so and then let most of the air out to make sure they aren't twisted, then do it again and check the bead before inflating completely.

Back