Poor man’s manta ray chain issues

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys: super pumped on the completion of my most recent project.

I did a little longer ride today and noticed an annoying click.

I’m not sure what is going on. It’s super weird.

I’m using the original chain and original rear hub and sprocket. (I did put in a generic new master link and did shorten the chain so the wheel fit in the fender better)

What’s happening is, one tooth, at the exact same part of the chain, clicks, like it doesn’t fit properly. This happens every rotation of the chain.

The problem only happens with this one link, about 3-4 links away from the replaced master link.

Here’s a video. Take a look and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Hey guys: super pumped on the completion of my most recent project.

I did a little longer ride today and noticed an annoying click.

I’m not sure what is going on. It’s super weird.

I’m using the original chain and original rear hub and sprocket. (I did put in a generic new master link and did shorten the chain so the wheel fit in the fender better)

What’s happening is, one tooth, at the exact same part of the chain, clicks, like it doesn’t fit properly. This happens every rotation of the chain.

The problem only happens with this one link, about 3-4 links away from the replaced master link.

Here’s a video. Take a look and let me know what you think!

View attachment 228008
Replace the problematic part of the chain, using the original chain for a donor, see if that helps.

Replace the problematic part of the chain, using the original chain for a donor, see if that helps.
Thanks @us56456712 !

I have a box of old / repurposed chains…. I think the chain I grabbed was off of a big-box 26” cruiser I picked up cheap a few years back.

-I didn’t want to mess with swapping out sections of chain.

I trimmed the new-ish big box chain to size, put it on…. SILK!

works great. I can’t believe how quiet the bike is. all I hear when I ride it is the tires on the pavement!

so, super easy fix!

I’m scratching my head as to what could have been wrong with the original. It didn’t look like It was bent……. I moved it around, so it was lacking flexibility. Just weird!

Back