Poor little Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this Schwinn out of a guys field along with five other bikes. It is all rusted shut, nothing on it turns. I think it will eventually. So I'm just wondering what it is and if anyone could give me an approximate date. the only numbers I could find are in the crotch of the fork, they are B41 and 16B. It has a little of the original paint left and a sad little star on the top tube. It makes me sad that it's all messed up, I'd like to get it rideable again but I don't know if it'll loosen up enough. And of course I'll have to do something about the split in the cantilever tube :( . I guess I will weld in a new tube, from the seat tube forward.

Thanks for any info.

blueschwinnsideview.jpg

blueschwinnfrontquarterview.jpg

blueschwinnheadbadge.jpg
blueschwinnlogo.jpg

blueshwinnhub.jpg
blueshwinnbendix.jpg

blueschwinntubesplit.jpg
blueshwinnseat.jpg

blueschwinnBB.jpg
blueschwinnstar.jpg

Soak with PB Blaster for as long as it takes to free the parts. Even if you can't repair the frame, you'll get a crank and chain ring plus all the bearings, cones, and cups. The fork also looks like it will be okay. That Bendix hub...and probably the bike...is from the '70's. I think that's the last Bendix hub they made in the USA before heading to Mexico. The hub should clean up and work okay. Gary

Progress! Be patient and spray it everyday and try to move the parts everyday. Eventually, the rust will give up. Gary

What sort of bike might it have been? Scrambler? or.. They offered different models on the same frame yes? I don't know anything about older Schwinns like that. I just saw two pictures of Tornadoes from the 70's that have the same chainring.

Thanks

They made lots of small bikes with different names. Tornado, Typhoon, Hornet. You could make it into about anything. A StingRay if you wanted to. Gary

Based of the rear hub as others have said it appears to be 70's. The serial number should be on the lower right side (chain side) of the head tube visible towards the front. Should be a two letter code followed by the serial number. The two letter code will tell what month and year.

Near as I can make out the serial number is H90211347. It's not very clear though, I'll have the wife have a look at it and see what she sees.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back