POOR BOYS BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Fed Ex guy Blake, brought me a new project today.. Starting from scratch again with just a frame and fork, I got this great idea for a build while visiting the BMX part of this site a few weeks back...
image.jpg
This is (HH) Aug, 1972 Schwinn Fastback frame... My first and only BMX Bike as a kid in the 9th grade was a modified Schwinn Fastback that I bought from my friend with money that I saved working at my Dads Fiberglass shop.. My friend got a $300 dollar BMX Peddlepower AKA Powerlite bike for his birthday 1978!!
image.jpg
Back then I lived in La Mesa California/ San Diego, so he sold me his old Schwinn for $15.00.. He told me he won a trophy with the Schwinn in a BMX race... At the time I knew it was a Schwinn but every 20" Schwinn I saw had the double cantaliever frame... My friend had rattle canned it baby blue.. So I beadblasted the frame and painted it with Silver Epoxy paint with a spray gun at my Fathers Shop.... Silver paint was a modern color back then...Years later I discovered it was a Fastback frame.. All that I remember about the Bike is that after I re-painted it silver I bought some Black BMX handlebars and a set of Black Oakley grips from the local Bike Shop..
image.jpg
I remember that the grips were very expensive!! I rode it everywhere for a couple of years up untill I broke the frame just behind the upper headset:( When I landed too hard coming off of a jump.. If I had it now I could of saved it by re-welding it.. Instead I threw it in the dumpster because we didn't have a welder.. Thank goodness for EBay so I can bring back a part of my child hood
image.jpg
This is as far as I got tonight.. I beadblasted the old Sky Blue paint off and ground all the Rust pits. Here it is all smoothed out...
image.jpg
In the morning I will Powdercoat it.. And post some more pictures in the afternoon of my progress... Ok I mixed a custom color out of Mirror Black, with a pinch of Ultra Violet and PearlNight Blue... I'm going to name it Night Hawk Black after the Honda Color.. I touch of Blue makes it appear Blacker..
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok now it's ready to bake at 400 deg. For 15 min. I baked the fork first and it turned out nice and glossy..
image.jpg
image.jpg
I ran into a dead end.. The tires that I ordered didn't come in, so I will have to wait:(
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 226
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
This is awesome! I remember quite a few BMXed Stingrays running around as a kid. Never knew what a Fastback was until much later. Probably saw some back then, just didn't know about them. There were a couple Stingrays running around the neighborhood that were tricked out with some higher end BMX parts as well. Araya anodized rims etc.

Ok could'nt wait after finding out that the person I bought my tires from still has not shipped them after I paid her over a week ago...She said she can not find them in her 20,000 sq. foot building:( so I installed these Turino 500s.. They are period correct 1976...
image.jpg

I dig those RWLs! Are they slicks? It's hard to tell.

What do you have coming?
The Turinos are knobby virtually Nos 20" 2.125 and are the same tires that are found on the back of a Dragstripper.. I ordered A pair of nos Scrambler Schwinn Xs RWL 20" 2.125 tires, like the ones below to stay with the Schwinn theme:)
image.jpg

Last edited:
when you get the tires, you could send those Turinos my way ... need a set... :)

Does not surprise me, we've all bought a whole bike just for tires.... decent looking bike though. nice MX.

I remember that bike on eBay! Good eye on those tires!

I owe you some pictures of a certain shifter...finally done working all the time so we can figure it out :D

The Turinos are knobby virtually Nos 20" 2.125 and are the same tires that are found on the back of a Dragstripper.. I ordered A pair of nos Scrambler Schwinn Xs RWL 20" 2.125 tires, like the ones below to stay with the Schwinn theme:)View attachment 9672
So I just realized I am not done with this build, these are not the tires I ordered! I got cheated!! I was sent 20x1.75 re pops instead of the Nos 20x2.125 Scrambler Schwinn x tires:(

Back