plow bike concept

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont ever think im gonna get this off the ground but i thought i share the idea
L4DYq.jpg

Over the years, this subject has come up on our winter rides. Most everyone agreed that a trike with a dif rearend would do a decent job while offering some stability.
We were mainly thinking of building one to lead the cruises down the paved trails or sidewalks. V-plow would be the way to go! I would love to see an actual working snowplow bike!
We ride all year long. Our worst ride was right after a major snow storm here in Michigan a couple of years back. The roads were barely cleared and icey. Over two foot of snow on the ground.
We rode about a half of a mile in a little over an hour! We knew better but we did it to prove our point. The main thing was ... we were having fun and laughing our butts off!

Here is a website for the plow that my friend Dave built and we use to plow the Fox River trail between Geneva and Batavia.
You might want to make yours a "V" shape cause the snow wont affect your steering like the flat angled one will. It was fun riding with you last Sat in Chicago.
http://www-bdnew.fnal.gov/pbar/organiza ... _Plow.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

LOL. This is what I thought you had in mind when I saw the thread title:

steelplows.jpg

Probably because I live in Iowa (though the snow plow will make sense in a couple months).

That plow is really like a dirt plow look at the link they are almost identical

mikesbikes36 said:
hmmmmm ....would prolly work real well with a light snow ...would b a seriuos work out i bet ....go on build it !!!! mike
its crossed my mind a few times but i just havent been interested in following through with the idea

I actually did this as a kid, built it in shop class. It was a hoot, shame I don't have a pic of it.
I mounted it to the front of a BMX I had built. It had a lever to raise it for transport.

How about putting a steer tube on a real snow blower, so you could replace your front fork with a snowblower when needed?

They have handlebars don't they?

This idea from the sunny south where if we get any snow at all, it's melted by noon! :D

Jerry, to me (at least) putting any type of engine run snowblower on a bike would defeat the purpose.
Most snowblowers are self propelled and therefore the bike becomes a motorized bicycle and also probably illegal to use on most streets.
And defenitely illegal to use on Rails to Trails! Sidewalks would also get you a ticket in most areas.
If you could make a snoblower that is driven off of the riders pedaling, that would be cool.
Gearing could probably be achieved to get the augers to spit snow off to the side as you ride.
I've got the parts of an old snowblower and have thought about this idea. I think it would be very easy to build,
but time and storage space for such a contraption is out of the question for this year.

chainsaw, I was just being silly. we hardly know what snow is down here, we definately don't push it around, we let it melt! :D :D

even the heavy wet snow we had last year that broke so many trees and power lines down, was gone in a little over a day. We actually get more ice than snow anyway.

OTOH if more than one flake falls schools shut down, people take off work, and EVERYONE has this strange need to get to the supermarket!

Hummers, and Jeeps come out of the woodwork, but you can't put anything with a real transfer case in 4WD because half the time your tires are on pavement.

Realtors just MUST show that house no matter what, everyone has to go somewhere.
For about 4 hours in the morning, before they get all the bridges sanded, cars are in the ditch everywhere, and tow trucks are backed up with hundreds of calls.

We have 2 types of drivers, 10 MPH in the RWD pickup that can't get up the slightest hill, or the macho guy who used to live up north that can't stay under 50 MPH.

Drivers create a Circus that Barnum and Bailey never dreamed of. TV news LOVES it.

2 days later when all the sand has dried up on the bridges and intersections, your car's paint gets a few days worth of sandblasting.

They spend a couple of weeks sweeping up the sand. We don't have snow plows in winter, we have street sweepers! :D :D

Just ask Ratrod....

jerrykr said:

2 days later when all the sand has dried up on the bridges and intersections, your car's paint gets a few days worth of sandblasting.

Yeah, great fun for motorcycles. :roll:

Back