Please help me identify my 1965 Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this bike from a local Clist seller here in Cleveland a few days ago, and after doing some research I found out that it's a 1965 (serial #EA24483)but have no idea what model it is. According to him the old lady across the street had it stored in her garage for many years and when she passed her son put it out on the lawn on garbage day. He picked it up and used it for a year before the tire went flat and found it's way into the garage to collect dust for another 2yrs. It was priced at $100 firm but I gave him a set of used golf club that I got for free and a crispy 20 dollar bill... lol! Not a bad deal at all!!!

If you're a Schwinn expert or can determine what model it is by looking at the pics please message me or reply to this post. I'll like to keep it and find all the missing parts to it. It's missing the chain guard and possibly a tank. It has a bendix rear hub w/ the factory reflectors hanging form them both front and rear. The rear rack appears to be a Jaguar/Corvette rack w/ all 4 reflectors there and in good condition.
And that's all I know.

2012-06-05041750.jpg

2012-06-05041735.jpg

2012-06-05041715.jpg

From the catalog pics, it's probably a Typhoon Deluxe with the front rack. The rear rack was probably added later. And with the 2 speed, it's a 52 dollar bike!

11j63uu.jpg

I'm with Wildcat ... Typhoon Deluxe, rack added later. The grips would be different and it would have chrome fenders for a corvette, the frame would have tank hanger tabs if it was a jaguar too. The other thing is the Typhoons had the cheaper style stems on them (like yours has) instead of the cast stems usually found on the higher end bikes. Some typhoons had the cast stems too but by 65 the cheaper bikes had the cheaper style stems.

Yep, and you have the Schwinn S-7 rims, good but only take a certain 26" tire. It won't take a regular tire like 26 x 1.75, it will be a 26 x 1 3/4, using a fraction for size, not a decimal. Schwinn made their rims a tiny bit bigger, just enough so the other tires wouldn't stretch over them. You can still get those size tires. Hopefully your front tire is in good shape, it looks original, but your rear tire has tape on it, probably won't be useable. The inner tubes are interchangeable, the difference was very little.

That's some great info there, I really appreciate it! I had no idea about the tire size and that rear rack makes total sense to me now... I was a bit confused. My next question is to leave or keep the rear rack on it now???? I'm guessing it was never optional for the typhoon, correct? And is there any way to tell if the rack came off a jaguar or a corvette? Also, I noticed that catalog pic shows it w hand brakes but mine doesn't seem to have come w/ them. Were those optional? Thanks for all the info.

I think the rack looks good on there. It may have been an accessory added at the Schwinn shop when bought new. They liked to sell accessories. You have the red band automatic two speed hub. The three speed version needed hand brakes and a shift cable, yours shifts and brakes by pedaling backward. Better than the 3 speed if you ask me.

I bought a Deluxe Typhoon to do my paper route back in '68. Mine had the front rack and 2-speed hub also. I'd keep that rack on there and maybe get a nice seat that is a little more comfy...unless you are the size of a 12 yr old and weigh the same. :p You should be able to find a hockey stick guard for it in the wanted forum. Gary

I have the correct guard, from another Typhoon, but it will need to be re-painted.

It's cool to know that some of you guys did actually owndd Schwinn bikes growing up and that you still have many wonderful memories of it all. My dad's chilhood memories are mostly of his 1st car at the age of 14, so asking him questions about old bikes is like asking my 9yr old daughter about football. I truly appreciate what you do and the help you guys provide on this awesome website. Thanks again! You old farts!!! lol! ...one last question though, and I think I already know the answer to it. Should I restore thw bike and give it a new pro paint job???

In my opinion, no. The paint is way too nice to re-do. Just clean it up good and find an original paint chainguard. You will have a nice original bike. If you have the itch to paint a bike to your liking, find one that is a lot rougher, have it bead blasted so you have a good starting point for paint and then go for it. Ha! "Old Farts". I resemble that remark. :wink: Gary

Lol!!!!! You're right, the paint's still decent on it to do over. I'll keep it all original and try to find the same color chainguard for it. Thanks again guys!

Latest posts

Back