Planning to order an Electra Cruiser 1, but

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I make that a 24 inch wheeled bike or 26 inch wheeled bike? I like the idea of getting 3 inch wide tires on the 24 inch rims, but I'm a big guy at 6'1 255 and am not sure if the 24 would make a difference. Also, would 3 inch wide tires fit in an Electra Cruiser frame?

I would like to get a new bike for my first effort in building up a bike how I want it becuase I would like to be able to change stuff without battling rust and locked up parts.

Is there a better option out there for a new bike at $230ish? LBS carries Electra and I would like to get it from them, but don't know if there is a better starting platform.

I'll end up changing tires, fork, stem, bars, seats, and maybe a repaint (later) so the frame and rims are the most important parts to me at this point I think.

Thanks for any helpful info folks!

I'm under the impression a 24" version will not only have smaller wheels, but also a scaled down frame and fork, and would be too small of a bike for someone who is over 6'. I'm also not so sure if the rims that are designed for the 24x3 tires use the same bead diameter as the rims that are designed for 24x2.125 tires.

The 26" Electra Cruiser 1 will accept a 24"x3" wheel/tire combo no problem. Electra already offers that combo on the Sparker, which is basically the same frame.

I don't think you'd be able to fit 24"x3" tires on the 24" frame. Besides that, you're too tall for a 24" frame, in my opinion.

Since you want a new bike to start with, my suggestion would be an Electra. They're great bikes. 8) I'd buy another one in a hearbeat if I had the extra money.

A 24' wheel with a 24" x 3" tire is going to be pretty close to the size of a 26" x 2.125" wheel/tire combo.

I'd go for the 26" bike and swap out the rear wheel and tire.

That was confusion on my part... I was thinking the 24 inch wheeled bike, was the same with smaller wheels. If the actual frame is smaller I don't want to do that. Thanks for the help guys.

Back