Pitting in metal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys…so I have a tank that I am repainting. This isn’t a “restoration” but more of a rat job. The tank has some pitting from rust. I have it sanded down and it looks fine, but I want to smooth out it out. Should I just use a body filler and sand it? Any special type or way to go about this?

Thanks!

Body filler works fine. I've even used JB weld if there weren't too many pits to fill. When sanding these pits use a sanding block of some type or you may take out a little too much filler from the pit and you'll still be able to see it.

This may depend on your level of equipment but look into spray on body fillers. These are basically very thick primers that can be block sanded to fill pits and smooth out ripples.

On my pitted parts just get a Hard or med wire wheel (the have hard, med, and soft) that hooks up to your drill and just take the pits out. I like to do this anyways because you dont want to leave rust to grow under the new paint. A good trick is running the drill clockwise and once it's not working as well turn the drill to counter clockwise.

c.p.odom said:
This may depend on your level of equipment but look into spray on body fillers. These are basically very thick primers that can be block sanded to fill pits and smooth out ripples.

agreed, usually called "fill primer"

Just don't put to much primer on as it can release and begin to crack underneath your new paint. At which time you will use alot of words that cause little old ladies to quake. :lol:

Sorcerer

First you should sand/grind all the loose rust/paint off. Then apply a rust neutralizer. There are many available at paint supply stores. Then put your body filler on, sand w/80 grit paper, spray multiple coats of sandable primer,sand with 180 grit between each coat til the last coat, then sand w/400, then paint. If the pitting isn't bad you can get a high build primer and skip the body filler.

Back