"Pig Bike" Build off... What r the rules?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
OK, this hit me as an opportunity to try something different. I said "different" meaning something not already done. If we had an unofficial BBO and labeled it as a PBBO or Pig Bike Build Off, what kind of rules/limitations/constraints would we have? These would be "GUIDELINES", not strict rules, as I do no even know what a Pig Bike is by definition, but i have an idea from some of the posts I have seen what they could entail. Looking for your thoughts and ideas.

This could be just the thing to get us thru the cold winter!

Thanks, Joe

One rule - 20" frame, pre 1963.

From John Brain's History-
Kustom trends of 1963
For the most part kustom styling trends of 1963 were a carry-over from the previous year- that is until the new laws banning certain types of equipment came in. The homemade 20-inch high-rise bikes (called "Pig bikes" or "Scorpions" by many youngsters) grew in popularity, and once the 20-inch platform became firmly established- as the "hot" new style - the older styles based on the larger 24 and 26-inch wheeled bikes quickly began to fade.

OK then! Cman would you close and lock this thread now! :shock: :lol:

Guess i never read that page of JB's article...and I have the whole history printed out somewhere.

Joe

cman said:
One rule - 20" frame, pre 1963.

From John Brain's History-
Kustom trends of 1963
For the most part kustom styling trends of 1963 were a carry-over from the previous year- that is until the new laws banning certain types of equipment came in. The homemade 20-inch high-rise bikes (called "Pig bikes" or "Scorpions" by many youngsters) grew in popularity, and once the 20-inch platform became firmly established- as the "hot" new style - the older styles based on the larger 24 and 26-inch wheeled bikes quickly began to fade.

That is the rule but I will leave it open to help gain interest.

I have a Pig Bike thread started. viewtopic.php?f=70&t=66075

Johnny's Bike

0422002258a.jpg

I'd be in but I don't have any pre-1963 frames in 20". Can we fake it with a modern cantilever frame? I have a bratz lowrider I wanna do something with.

Oh I'm so down. Just to build. It's simple 20' muscle bike style frame apes and go stupid from there.

Oh maybe not. I'll have to hunt for a pre 63 frame. Earliest I have is my 64 ray but thats a muscle bike not really a pig am I right?

Pigs are pre-official muscle bikes, basically 20" kids bike made up in what would later be known as muscle bike style.

Maybe any USA made frame? 1963 and older 20" frames made be hard or expensive, especially with the recent sales on ebay ballooners.

Would that work for every one? I am not entering ,but just trying to make it accessable to more.

Back