Picked this up today

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not even sure what it is but it looks Cool.
2012-10-14192429.jpg

2012-10-14192513.jpg

That IS cool bro! 8) Where in the heck did you find that? :?: I'll give ya a poke in the eye with a sharp stick for it! :lol:

Dude. You've got a 4 bar. Monark built for Spiegel Magazine. A Spiegel Airmen.

Super rare.

I'd love to have one of those. The men's version obviously is a 5 bar. Great great find.

Congrats.

1918 Ranger

Another reason why I love this site....everytime I log on, I read and learn about yet another cool old bike. :D

After hearing the talk on this I should have bid ya up! lol Good find rat Had fun even if I didnt buy anything.

Also what's the story behind it?

This is my Spiegel Airmen. Different than the 5 bar version but an Airmen.

e7aza6as.jpg

The Airmen is very rare. You rarely see them on eBay and I have a thread here on RRB asking LETS SEE YOUR SPIEGEL BIKES and had nearly no replies.

Awesome find.

1918 Ranger

65rat said:
1918 Ranger said:
Can't quite see but do the 2 bottom tubes wrap under the bottom bracket?

1918 Ranger
Yes they do I'll post better pics later
Cool. The 4 Bar and 5 Bar bikes came both ways with the bottom tubes wrapping under the bottom bracket and the traditional way where they go into the bottom bracket.

My 5 Bar Hawthorne (which is a monark style frame built for and badged for Hawthorne) has the tubes going into the bottom bracket. Looks good but I'd love to find the other style as well.

Awesome bikes !!!

1918 Ranger

1918 Ranger said:
The 4 Bar and 5 Bar bikes came both ways with the bottom tubes wrapping under the bottom bracket and the traditional way where they go into the bottom bracket.
My 5 Bar Hawthorne (which is a monark style frame built for and badged for Hawthorne) has the tubes going into the bottom bracket. Looks good but I'd love to find the other style as well.

1918 Ranger

Monark built 4-Bar and 5-Bar frames all feature continuous tubes that run under the crank hanger. If you have a similar frame with the tubes that connect to, and end at, the crank hanger in the traditional way, then the frame was made by either Snyder or Cleveland Welding; both produced versions of 4-Bar and 5-Bar frames for Hawthorne and they are also different from each other.

Back