picked one up today...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,in my "introduction" post I mentioned I'd be purchasing a Huffy Cranbrook and using that as my platform. But today i stopped by the local salvation army store, and bought a Sears and Roebuck "Free Style" it's a single gear/coaster brake set up. I didn't measure it so not sure if it's a 24 or 26". Overall it's in good shape. Looks like the frame tubes are pressed together rather than welded/brazed. Got it home and stripped it down to the frame. So the plan is to sand,prime,paint,re-build. I'll be replacing the Handle bars and grips,pedals and seat for starters. The rims are too far gone with rust for me to want to re-use them. So my first question for the pros is, how big a hassle will finding new or newish rims be? I'm very new to this hobby and looking forward to learning from you folks.

post some pics!! Classified ads in your paper, craigslist,resale shops, garage sales. Just need a cheap donor bike....(then youll have extra parts for all the other bikes that will just appear :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

Markm, so mounting or swapping rims/wheels/sprocket from a different bike is pretty straight forward so long as I use a single sprocket,coaster brake to match what my bike had on it originally?

yes and no....some axles, mainly front, are different size. A little grinding if its too small. Im guessing it has the skinnier tires and you probably want the wider (?), if so , as long as they clear the frame and forks and fenders you can make it work.

Yup it's got the skinny tires. I would like to go wider when the time comes to do so. Thanks for the advice, I'm sure I'll have more questions as this project continues.

Back