Phat rebirth - E-chopper build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a long time ago i bought a Phat choach chopper and rode it around for fun, i bought a set of 144 spoke wheels and changed them from single speed to 7 speed
HPIM4193.jpg

HPIM4194.jpg

after a while i lost interest in the bike, as i commute daily i got more focused on road bikes and commuters.. i took it apart and kept the bits and pieces..

some time ago i got the idea to rebuild it as an electric assist bike - but since money is short and electric assist kit costs a fortune in denmark, i kinda waited to get lucky on a deal on an used electric bike. last week that luck turned up, unfortunately one of my colleagues who had resently purchased a electric assist bike lent it to her daughter who crashed it into a car at high speed and was severely injured, the bike was damaged beyond repair and she let me have the remains for free
( her daughter is now recovering but still having issues with short term memory due to head injury - even though she was wearing a helmet ) so lucky for me, not so lucky for my colleague and her family

I took the bike apart and the front wheel electric motor and all electrics and battery are unharmed and ready to transfer to my phat - i knew i also wanted gears so this is what i came up with:
20120723_201445.jpg

this is a sram i-motion 9 speed with disc brake mount, im planning on mounting a sprocket like this
in the disc mount and connecting to a rear hub with disc mount as well
dscn4351a-1.jpg

the project will require some cutting and welding and as i dont have these facilities at home the build will probably go on for some time.. i´m thinking of making a chainguard for the front drive, any ideas are wellcome

regards
Flemming

Re: Phat rebirth

Hi,

This is a good project, very interesting !!

Do you have a link to find this sprocket ?

flemrasm said:
this is a sram i-motion 9 speed with disc brake mount, im planning on mounting a sprocket like this
in the disc mount and connecting to a rear hub with disc mount as well
dscn4351a-1.jpg

the photo i posted is from velosolo.co.uk, after a bit of searching i found that in US, there is also a company called tomicog, google it and you can find his webpage..

i actually think i´ll try to drill my own( i do not have a big budget for bike parts) and if it turns out bad Í can always resort to buying

i´ll post updates as they happen :)

regards
Flemming

TomiCogs are hot and StainlesS, but the renthal-made velosolo cogs look nice too, in pictures. Probably going with the velosolo, as i am looking to get a hub from them anyway. (Shimano doesnt sell m756 fronts with 36h/silver in the States... :x )

Flem, that looks way interesting. what hub will you put in back? How bout rear brakes? Cant wait to see how this shapes up...
-rob

hi Rob, i just got back from vacaton, and found a nice package from velosolo in the mail :) two 18t cogs that will go on the build :) regarding rear hub..i was planning on using a spaced out shimano front hub with disk mount for the cog, but as im going with a double rim setup ( becourse i dont have the $$ to buy wide rims ) i had to reconsider - as i think setting up V-brakes on double rims can be a bit tricky, so yesterday i took apart two old mtb wheels with disc mount and started making a dual flange rear hub
the front hub
20120804_153654.jpg

goes in my mini lathe to make sure the cut with the hacksaw is clean
20120804_185230.jpg

voila :)
20120804_153706.jpg

did the same thing to the rear hub, but as they were different dimentions i had to turn it down a bit in the lathe
luckily its aluminium, the lathe is small and old - but it handeled this job good :)
now both are 29mm and fitting snug together
20120804_194701.jpg

now is left to see how i will get them joined, i might need to call in a favor from an old colleague..orelse i will go with the alu brazing rods that i cant remember the name of right now :)
anyways, will post more as the build progresses

regards Flemming

testsetup with the velosolo cogs
20120805_124220.jpg

on with both and check clearance, it looks like it will just clear all places, ant the chainline is not so bad either
20120805_161300.jpg

20120805_161247.jpg

the sram imotion9 is extremely noisy in the high gears, anyone has this hub and can confirm that this is the case
or do i need to service it, its a loud, consistend clicking, i can imagine ill grow tired of this over time, but maby it will dull the noice of the electric front hub :)

next thing to ponder on is the placement of the battery, i´ve decided it is going on the front side of the seat tube
20120805_204025.jpg

next thing will be to cut a part of the frame away to make room for the battery, i will weld in a piece of flat iron to form a square where the batteri can be placed
then i will make a support plate for the bottom plastic plate you see here with the batteri connections, i think the rest of the eletrics will be placed in some sort of box behind
the bottom bracket, below the chainstays

also started to think about my 2 rims 1 hub setup, as i do not have the skills to lace up two rims i will have to fixate them somehow, the rear rims are steel, so they will probably be welded
but i thought it´would look cool to make some kind of attachment that would bolt into the unused spokeholes to fixate the rims, maby in the shape of an X or a H, if anyone out there has ideas
pls share..

regards

flemming

a short update - i got tired of waiting for a guy that can weld aluminium, so i came up with a different plan
i turned the two pieces of hub down to fit a 1 1/8 fork spacer, holes on 3 sides, will tap them and put in umbraco screws, i bet that will hold up nicely :).. what do you think ?
20120823_123914.jpg

This thing is wild! gonna be fun to follow!

Flem,

Looks great; i hope it holds up. Gotta ask: where are you? That lil car in the background looks like a VW polo or somesuch... not something we see in the States too much...

Report this postReply with quoteRe: Phat rebirth
by Bicycle808 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 pm

Flem,

Looks great; i hope it holds up. Gotta ask: where are you? That lil car in the background looks like a VW polo or somesuch... not something we see in the States too much...

Hi, i think it will hold up, the spokes will take alot of the tention, and the axel will keep it together , this weekend i got the wheels laced up, got the frame welded & decided to change the mid drive hub to a 3sp shimano with rollerbrake, so now im fabricating parts to turn the rollerbrake hub into a disc brake hub..its alot of fun, and i get to play around with the tiny lathe again :) .. pictures tonight - promise :)

I´m located in Denmark - where the taxes are high and the cars are small.. the car is a VW golf, a bit larger than a polo, that goes for around 45.000 USD over here

Regards
Flemming

so, as promised a few progress pics, things are comming along nicely

i got the rear rims welded & laced to the homemade dual disc mount hub..still need to be trued though
20120828_194203.jpg

the front wheel( dual rim as well ) is also laced up to the motorhub - also needs truing
20120828_194239.jpg

as i had no means of welding the alu rims, i have made 70 2mm holes around the rims and tied them together with
steelwire ( dont know if thats the correct word), and then spokes from each side of the hub goes to both rims
i have no idea if i can true it, or if it will hold up.. if you have an opinion on this, or a piece of advise, pls share
20120828_194259.jpg

last weekend i was at a colleagues house and did some work on the frame, we made a bottom plate for the battery base
and got a cage welded in to support the frame where i cut it.. it worked out pretty good i think

bottom plate
20120828_193715.jpg

support structure
20120828_194051.jpg

battery in
20120828_194122.jpg

i also decided to ditch the I9 hub, its simply too noisy, so now im going with a shimano 3 speed..
that then gives some other challenges as it dose not have a disc mount for my disc cog, rather a rollerbrake
so i´we started fabricating an adaptor, not quite there yet - but a little teaser

started with this..its a display unit that was thrown out in the dumpster at work, the ends are solid aluminum
20120827_160214.jpg

took them to my mini lathe, made ALOT of alu-scrap
20120828_193332.jpg

had alot of cutting oil ( for me)
20120828_193339.jpg

so far i ended up with this:)
20120829_100113.jpg

20120829_100141.jpg

now i´m waiting for monday where i can get to a drill press to make some holes for the disc cog

regards
Flemming

Wow. You've done a lot more than bolt on a hub motor and put some batteries on a cargo rack. Not much room in that Phat frame.

build update, i spend a few days finishing my mid drive with disk mount adaptor, turned out pretty good i think, i got the wheels mounted today
back is dual rim 26x2,35 and front is dual rim 700cx50,
first mockup for a mechanical testride( all electrics besides front wheel motor hasent gone on yet

and also missing another important piece of equipment - brakes :)

here´s a few pics

phat.jpg

chain goes to rear wheel left side
20120908_172428.jpg

crank to mid drive
20120908_172422.jpg

view from cockpit
20120908_172415.jpg

mid drive to rear wheel - chain just clears the battery
20120908_172354.jpg

front wheel with 700x50 schwalbe big apple tire..
20120908_172346.jpg

regards
flemming

that rear hub is awesome looking,interesting build and its come together better than I thought it would,looks like it was a technical build,I said it before and will say again europeans have a certain style of technical/styleistic way of building :D

little Progress has been made, most of the wireing are done, but i messed up some wires, so i had to take it apart again :cry:
and i got som safety features installed..

rear disc brake
20120916_191423.jpg

i have no idea how it will function in wet conditions - it being upsidedown... anybody has any thoughts on that ? will rain be a bigger issue when its sitting as it does ?

i have had some difficulties figuring out the front brake, as i´m using double rims, a normal V-brake cluster from a mountainbike fork will not work, it will pulle the brakes too close to the rims, so roaming my parts stash i came across a bmx stem that i purchased at a flea marked a couple of years ago, the guy said it was oversize, and i thought 31.8mm, but apparently bmx oversize is about 29mm..so i just kept it in a drawer..
20120916_191354.jpg

i found out that the bar -end of it would fit the fork legs perfect, so i cut them out, drilled and tapped them to accept the V-brake bosses
and voila.. v-brakes on fromt wheel

20120917_192951.jpg

20120917_193004.jpg

sorry about the lousy quality..

more updates after the weekend, hopefully after the first testride

regards
Flemming

Back