Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This is a build I've been drawing, designing and collecting parts for almost a year now (still have some missing pieces).

This is going to be a slow-go. But I thought I'd share the 'concept' and progress.

Concept: While the OCC/Sting-Ray was 'OK', I had always wished they would have kept a look that paid homage to the great bikes in Schwinn history. So, inspired by frames like the classic Schwinn B6 that we all know and modern designs like the first generation Electra Rat Rod and MANY others (both classic and modern)....

I came up with this (Schwinn purists and Jake Sensai might want to avert your gaze) ....
First, the donor frames
Standard issue OCC Sting-Ray
DSCF3217-1.jpg

1970's Schwinn Heavy-duti, which will serve as my 'Phantom' (you didn't think i'd cut a 'true' classic up did you?? :mrgreen: )
DSCF3216-1.jpg

After tracing both frames onto some paper and lining up the seat tubes as a reference, I came up with this design.
DSCF3211.jpg

So, a visit to DonOne's house with him and Double Nickle, along with an angle grinder and Sawsall and voila! A mix of classic Schwinn design and modern styling.
PC201313.jpg

PC201317.jpg

One note, not shown in these photos, in order to bridge the gaps in size of the seat tubes, I used the seat post of the OCC as a shim. This not only 'tightened things up a bit' it gives a better visual transition from one frame to the other.

That's about it for now. just need to get this welded together so I can start working out fork length, saddle position, etc...

Holiday Cheers to all, and to all a good bike!

Dr. T

Re: Phantom of the OCC

Dr.T. looks like a fun build. now let's see some more. have a great holiday an a happy new year.

Outlaw 8)

Thanks guys, this bike has been a bit of a mental obsession of mine. I have MAJOR plans for this one, but have no pressure to rush things, so.......

The frame needs a little work done to the BB (I kinda gouged it with the Saws-all) and the area where the seat stays meet the seat tube needs cleaned up too. But, in a few hours time it made huge leaps to get it this far. I envy the fearless builders here who can dive into a fabrication or customizing job, I tend to think things out to the point I second guess everything.

I will be honest though, it felt REALLY GOOD to cut those frames up last night....MUAHHHH!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey Doc,

Very cool build!! 8) I'll be watching this one for sure :wink: I still have the chainguard for the chopper, maybe on my week off I'll build up a box for it and send it on over to you :mrgreen:

Very cool Idea!!!! I cant wait to see how this comes together!!! 8) :mrgreen:

1970's Schwinn Heavy-duti, which will serve as my 'Phantom' (you didn't think i'd cut a 'true' classic up did you?? :mrgreen: )

Why not? :shock:

Just kidding guys, although it it were what I had on hand...

Tank, this is going to be an awesome build!!!!!
Merry Christmas from Prague.

hows the op going rat chopper doc?
looks intresting, hope it turns out good thems a strange frame mix you got there..

Back