Peugeot road bike - FREE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
A guy I work with said he tossed this bike on a junk pile by his house, so I decided I'd go check it out. He said he put hundreds of miles on it about twenty years ago.. Its straight and not beat up at all, so I figured I'd take it home. My nephew has been asking me about fixed gear bikes lately. I don't know much about them, but I figure it may be possible to make the Peugeot into a fixed gear for him.

Can the rear cassette be removed and replaced with fixed gear, or even a free wheel gear? Or am I looking at a new set of rims to make it work?

I wiped down the seat tube, and the old black paint shined up nicely at least :)
CIMG1722.jpg

CIMG1724.jpg

I personally would clean that bike up and keep it original..thats to nice to make a Fixed gear bike out of.!

That's Cool , some one gave me a Peugeot today also !

it looks to be a freewheel so you could thread a fixed cog onto it or a single speed freewheel. the only issue with using this wheel is the chain line.

The LT said:
If you are going to build it into a fixed gear, get a real fixed hub and don't just put a cog on a freewheel hub (It is called a suicide hub for a reason)
Ya I think if I can't find a complete wheel set at a good price, I'll just get a new hub and have it laced into the rear... and get all the respective spacers to correct the chain line.

Yah road bike ! got it from a elderly guy who said it was his sons , it was in his barn ,looks like it might be from the 70's and it's in very nice condition except for the tires . he asked me to clean it up and sell it for him , but i have no idea what its worth ??

I'd just replace the gear cluster with a bmx freewheel and run brakes. It'll look 99% as cool as a fixed gear. sweet bike.

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
I'd just replace the gear cluster with a bmx freewheel and run brakes. It'll look 99% as cool as a fixed gear. sweet bike.
The LT^ mentioned something about a "suicide hub"... Is that the same thing?
I'm open to do this as cheap as possible, so it a bmx freewheel would work... I'll do that. Brakes are fine with me! I'll go with a MTB bar set up tho..

Critter1 said:
ifitsfreeitsforme said:
The LT^ mentioned something about a "suicide hub"... Is that the same thing?
I'm open to do this as cheap as possible, so it a bmx freewheel would work... I'll do that. Brakes are fine with me! I'll go with a MTB bar set up tho..

A bmx freewheel would be fine to just thread on in place of the multispeed freewheel. A fixed cog should not be used on a freewheel hub. Click the link in my previous post to get a more detailed explanation with pictures.

Back